Where Do I Begin (Original) Acoustic Rock

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
This is the first time I've attempted recording without proper equipment. I'm honestly suprised I got a useable sound using my piddly little USB mic. Mixing with headphones/Hifi speakers is pitiful, lol.

I know the track has problems, that became more evident when I converted it to MP3. What do you think? Lay it on me, I want comments on everything.

SoundClick: Jacob Hatfield - Where Do I Begin

sounds good. I like your vox. The song proformance is a little sloppy. Working with a band would do u wonders.

I like it! Great vocals and I really like the lower sound you're getting from your guitar.

Sounds a lot like Days of the New (Guitar wise).

Dude, this is awesome, great job. With the exception of some room noise in the vocal track, I think you did a great job, and I can't really tell that you are using any sub-par equipment. This just goes to show you the importance of knowing how to use the tools vs. having the biggest and bestest tools.

Ahhh this song would be awesome with drums and electric guitars. It sounds great already. Very radio friendly actually. I agree with the room sounds. Break out the thick bed sheet and make a little tent. It reduces the room sound a lot if it's not treated. Good job on this.

Very very good man!

I'm using sub-par equipment too and my tunes are comin out ok.

Like above the vocals distort a little probably just the mic's fault and agreed you don't need the best equipment if you can use what you have well!

Muzza.

I'm no pro, but I'll offer a few suggestions...

First... It's a great song and you have the voice to pull it off. I totally agree with the comment above that a full band version sould wound awesome. It depends on what you're after, I guess. Slightly overdriven vocal, acoustic guitar only (and the shaker, which is cool), and ultradry mix with kind of an aggressive song and performance style is kind of a cool effect. It doesn't by any means sound bad. If it's what you're after, you can make it sound better with an unclipped recording of the vocal and a different means of creating the overdrive. Another treatment (short of of full band production), though, would be to put a little 'verb on it! I don't know whether Audacity has gotten any better since I last used it (maybe 5-6 years ago), but I would recommend giving Reaper a try. I'm not promoting for them or anything, but if you're not in place where you can drop a few hundred bucks on software (which I'm guessing you're not if you're using Audacity), I think Reaper is haaarrrd to beat! You can import the tracks you already have. To those you could add a teeny bit of slapback (ReaDelay), and some reverb (Reaper has two modules that are pretty good) to all your tracks. You have to be careful not to overdo it. What I try to do (when not trying to make a noticible echo effect ) is just add some ambience to the track without making it muddy and without making it sound like it was recorded in a well or a bathroom. It's the only way I've found to mostly make up for not having a good sounding room. You record everything close enough to the mic to be loud enough that you don't pick up much room sound (careful not to clip/pop). Raw, the tracks will sound really dry and close. Then you add a little (teeny bit) of slap back and barely audible reverb (and usually a little bit of compression on vocals) to try to make it sound like the track was recorded in a good sounding room with the mic back from the source a bit like I imagine the pros did in the old days (I've read that even professionals nowadays use close micing in a dead room and add room sound with effects, but I don't know that to be true.) Anyway, once that is done, I think of that as my "dry" track for mixing, and add "effects" from there as desired.

The other thing Reaper has that helps me A LOOOOT is a pitch correction plug in. Your track is quite good, but there are a few spots that a wee bit off. I know some folks have an attitude about pitch correction, but unless you're Whitney Houston, I think you're gonna need it to one degree of another. EVERYTHING you hear on the radio nowadays is pitch corrected - EVERYTHING! So when you record something that has even small little pitch bobbles, it really jumps out. The best thing is that when you have only a few small bobbles, which is all I heard in your song, you can correct it without affecting the sound of your voice AT ALL!

Like a say, I'm no pro, but I've been messing around with home recording for a long time (starting with ping-ponging between two cassette tape decks in high school.) I just got my first decent mic for Christmas, and I have to admit that has made a noticable difference. Even before that, though, I think some of the stuff I've recorded has sounded really good. It's more about figuring out how to make what you have sound as good as it can. Most important thing, to me, is to get the levels right when you record the track. That absolutely can not be fixed after the fact. Just right is best, but quiet/noisy is better than overdriven/clipped. That's important to remember mainly if you're recording somebody else. Try telling you primadonna lead singer that he has to sing his perfect take over because you had the level too high (really because he sang louder and closer, but that doesn't matter now does it?) and it's all crackly and sh*t!!! Been there, done that, not fun!! If its your own take, well... you only have yourself to blame.

Crap I've written a book. Sorry about that. Anyway. Good song. Keep at it. Don't worry about equipment...

J

Last edited:
yep great stuff - especially the guitar sound

as i'm currently finding out you can mess around with your songs production wise so much these days with free vst plugins and the like, so nice to hear a raw track with feeling!

Thank you so much guys...I really needed it. I'm inspired to do more, and eventually I'll return to this song...it still needs an outro or maybe another voice. The USB mic is very sensitive to the room, and in between my cans and hifi speakers it's easy to miss things.

Thanks again.

RULE #1:
Use what you have.
Given what you have this is terrific.
It helps that the song is good & that your performance is strong.
We forgive much in the presence of a good performance & good song.

Wow, I really do appreciate the insight!

I think the pitch issues come about because I can't monitor the live track when recording. Waaaay too much latency on this little laptop.

I messed with a few different reverbs and just couldn't find anything to my liking. I'm gonna keep experimenting though.

I'm a little proud of my results since I'm using less than I ever have. I'm actually more pleased now, than when I had nice mics, a decent pre, decent converters, and a real DAW.

Danke.

Hmmmm, I say you open up a collaboration project on this one. You could get a really great product if you do this with electric guitar, drums, bass, and other stuff. What do you think?

Back