Where Do All the Stars Go?

Hi. Levels seem pretty good here.. mix is maybe a little dark for my tastes?

Not sure where the "middle vocal part" is. Nothing jumped out at me. Wasn't crazy about the "horse clop" percussion, but it suits the song.

Hi. Levels seem pretty good here.. mix is maybe a little dark for my tastes?

Not sure where the "middle vocal part" is. Nothing jumped out at me. Wasn't crazy about the "horse clop" percussion, but it suits the song.

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to write more dark tracks, anything else just ends up cheesy with me!

Not sure the middle part was THAT quiet haha! Attempted to create a choir-ish type vocal section between the 2 verses, was quite a challenge with just me and a (VERY!) limited vocal range :D

Good performances. I like your voice. What I'm hearing is not so much dark but muddy. I'd get in there and clean up those lower mids. Might also help to high pass everything that doesn't have much low end content.

That middle vocal part you were worried about would probably be okay, but is getting masked and buried. I'd raise the level or else clear some space for it.

Drums are a little odd. I'm hearing mostly the room. Maybe mix in a bit more close mic, if you have that. If you're using samples, lower the ambiance. It's not terrible but it sounds like the kit is in a different space from the rest of the arrangement.

If you're still working on the composition, you might find a place to inject a little more energy as counterpoint to the low-key feel of the piece overall.

Last edited:
Drums are a little odd. I'm hearing mostly the room. Maybe mix in a bit more close mic, if you have that. If you're using samples, lower the ambiance. It's not terrible but it sounds like the kit is in a different space from the rest of the arrangement.

my thoughts

My personal preference would be to add more fx to the main vox to give a more mesmerizing sound. some verb or maybe delay with "phone line" eq. settings on it. even a touch of flange. thats just me.

I like it, there's a bit of lip-smacking in the vocal and it seems a little boxy, that's all that stuck out to me. Really cool aesthetic, I like the song.

Good performances. I like your voice. What I'm hearing is not so much dark but muddy. I'd get in there and clean up those lower mids. Might also help to high pass everything that doesn't have much low end content.

That middle vocal part you were worried about would probably be okay, but is getting masked and buried. I'd raise the level or else clear some space for it.

If you're still working on the composition, you might find a place to inject a little more energy as counterpoint to the low-key feel of the piece overall.

my thoughts

Thanks for the feedback. I have a HPF on all tracks, maybe some of them need a adjusting somewhat to clean it up a bit. Good ears on the drums, mainly OH and Room with only snare and kick having their own direct mic to boost them, was a different way of me mixing (usually I predominantly go for direct mics and then boost with OH/room) so bit of a learning curve, will remember that next time I'm mixing drums.

My personal preference would be to add more fx to the main vox to give a more mesmerizing sound. some verb or maybe delay with "phone line" eq. settings on it. even a touch of flange. thats just me.

Never really played around with vocals so some food for thought in your comments for future projects. As I'm not much of a vocalist I tend to spend most of my time trying to get them right and sitting in the mix, then move on. Definitely should come back to them once I've got them sounding OK and think about taking them to the next level with sound effects. Thanks.

I like it, there's a bit of lip-smacking in the vocal and it seems a little boxy, that's all that stuck out to me. Really cool aesthetic, I like the song.

Think I probably over compressed them and raised up the levels of the lip-smacking. Listening back, it is quite annoying now :laughings: First time I'd used the CLA vocal plug so got a bit over zealous!

Back