where did the fx go?

audioidkid

I'm having a problem with Pro Audio 9.
Why is it that when i record some guitar and add cakewalk effects, then copy and move those tracks into a different project, the cakewalk effects don't copy over to the new project?

This is especially difficult when a friend records vocals on his computer to a mixdown of guitars then adds effects. I am then unable to copy his audio and effects into my "working" project file.

I suppose the only way around this is to have one project file. But then only one person at a time can work on the song. Is there another way around this besides creating submixes or writing down all of his effects settings and then adding them again to the working file?

Are you applying the effects destructively, or using realtime effects?

Realtime effects are not actually applied to the underlying wave file. The are added "on the fly" as the music is being played back. Therefore, if you copy the wave, you get the music without the effect.

To make the effect part of the wave you either need to use destructive effects, or you need to "apply" the realtime effect (which applies it destructively). To do this, highlight the track then use the Apply Audio Effects command (I think it is on the Edit menu in PA9).

The downside of this is you can not remove or change the effect at a later time.

Can't you drag and copy the effects from one project to the other (when you tile both project windows)? Not sure, can't remember how CW9 looked like :)

Sounds like he is also collaborating with a friend who uses a different computer, pedullist. That would only work for projects on the same computer, no?

(And I also don't remember whether this was even possible in PA9 - been a long time :) )

Back