Where can I buy stuff in St. Louis?

tombuur

I am going to St. Louis in about three weeks on a business trip. Scandinavian prices are 30-40% higher than American ones (mainly due to taxes), so I might save some by buying stuff in USA.

On my list of things to look for are MOTU 828 mkII, SM57, a shockmount for NTK ... and if I come across a good deal on a Soundelux u195 I might just get tempted.

I guess I will stay at the center of St. Louis, and I will not have a car at my disposal. I have so far found the address of a Guitar Center in the city, though I don't know if its in the center or periphery.

Any good places to go?

The Guitar Center on Manchester would be the closest to downtown St.Louis.
It's actually in a town called Crestwood, but it's not to far out of the city.
There is also McMurry Music Center on Page Ave.
Also you could check out Tower Music in Fenton MO.
It really all depends on where exactly in St.Louis you will be staying, as St.Louis is a rather large city. Without access to a vehicle, you will most likely be looking at paying some taxi cab fare to get to and from any music store.

Thanks, I have located a couple of Guitar Centers on a map. Didn't know about the two others, are they small, medium or large stores?

Attending a large congress (at least 5000), I guess I will be staying close to where there is a Convention Hall. But those arranging the trip has not yet informed me about hotel etc.

The other stores compare in size to a typical Guitar Center.
The main St.Louis Convention Center is located in downtown St.Louis, so it's likely the company will put you guys up in one of the numerous hotels in the downtown area.
Off hand, I can't think of any "pro gear" music stores in the general down town vicinity. So it's looking like you will be needing a taxi cab. Unless you and or any of your co-workers are entertaining the thought of a rental car for your stay in the city.
At any rate, once you get to your hotel, ask the attendant to see the St.Louis Yellow Pages phone book. In the Yellow Pages you'll be able to find tons of music stores and taxi services. You may even be able to find a reasonable car rental company that offers drop off and pick up service.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car comes to mind.

Good luck and enjoy your stay in the Gateway to the West (St.Louis).

Thanks again. At least one other guy in my party is insterested in guitars, so maybe we will work out something together.

If you're looking for guitars, I have a very good friend who owns a store in the Ballwin area called Fazio's. I bought my Taylor and a few electric guitars there. Decent prices and GREAT service. In nearby St. Charles there's the St. Louis Guitar Exchange.

I have 13 guitars, ranging from a lute (well, somewhat like a guitar) to electrics. So I am covered. However, a great guitar can always tempt me, mainly Custom Shop Strats. Particularly a real "Blackie" (50's black CS Strat, not the modern Clapton Strat) would be interestering to look at.

Only two Guitar Satans in St. Louis. One on Watson Rd and one on St. Charles Rock Rd. Neither one has been advertised as a clearance center to my knowledge.

Good to know. We'll see about the beer. Don't know about my evening program yet, but I can't drink 15 anymore. I am 7 years older than you, you know.

At the moment I am trying to figure out what stuff I need to buy in US. A few things happen to cost the same here if they are produced in Europe (like RME Fireface 800, my alternative to MOTU 828 mkII).

If you'd like, give me a list of some stuff you might be interested in and I'll look around town for it (as far as local availability and street prices).

Well, Trackrat, I am in town. More specifically my hotel is Daniele Hotel in Clayton. I go by shuttle bus to the America's center and back. I ordered an Echo Indigo at GC in Crestwood. But I am surprised about distances here. Would any bus or train get me there? Guess a taxi cab may be quite costly. But in the end I might choose that. BTW there is a vintage guitar place in Clayton, so I will go and have a look. Probably just a look, considering the hight prices.

Using the computer at the congress, I will check again tomorrow.

Music Folk which caters to acoustic and eclectic instruments (if you need a Bouzouki, that's the place to go) is in Webster.

so...what ever happened to Mark Slocum?

and Silver Strings on Olive Street?

and is Fast Eddie still alive?

Antec Labs??

oh...and the Grainery across the river!!

Slocum and "Ah-mooo" are MIA. LAst I heard he was doing sound systems for cruse ships. Silver Strings is still on Olive. I was there not too long ago checking out a SWEET ES-175. Slocum had Fast Eddies place there on Broadway and changed the name to Paradise Site & Sound (right next door to Gravity's, a GREAT place to have your guitar worked on). I haven't heard from him in many years.
tombuur, if there's ANYTHING I can do for you while you're here let me know. I could pick you up and run you around town if you'd like. No problem.

Thanks Track Rat, I will consider that. Looks like busses 11 and 32 til take me to the two Guitar Centers. There is another guy in my company who is a guitar player, and maybe we will find out something together.

Those two places Broadway and Olive must be just around the corner from the Convention Center right? I am here at the moment with a long line behind me of people wanting to get on the Internet. So I will be back. My 10 minutes are up.

Looks like Monday is best for looking at guitars and things. Though I might try to get away a couple of hours Sunday too, maybe do the one GC in Crestwood.

Back