where are the digital tracks stored when created in cubase?

minofifa

Hi guys
i'm not a cubase user but need help from somebody who knows a bit about it. We got our demo tracks changed from analog to digital and the sound tech who did it used cubase SX 3 i believe. I want to get the tracks onto an external hard drive so i can take them home and mix them with sonar. When he tried the transfer, he just dragged the cubase project file to my hard drive, and it didn't work because none of the acutal audio is stored in that file. I know in sonar, each song/project has its own folder where all of the wav files are stored. Where would this folder be in cubase assuming the sound tech didn't select a custom folder?

thanks guys

Inside the project folder, there should be a couple other folders. One of them is called 'audio'. The tracks are in there.

ok, and by defualt, are project folders within the cubase program file?

like C:/program files/cubase/project A (that kind of thing?)

Open the POOL window and you'll see on the far right side of the screen the location of yer audio.

By default, you have to create the project folder when you start the project. Where ever that folder was created, that is where it is. That is the folder that the engineer should have given you. It is where you put it.

The project file should have an audio folder, inside the audio folder are the audio files. If the project folder didn't have anything in it, the guy that did the transfer screwed up and didn't give you the right folder. He needs to do it again.

6gun said:
Open the POOL window and you'll see on the far right side of the screen the location of yer audio.
He can't open the pool if he doesn't have cubase.

Sillyhat said:
He can't open the pool if he doesn't have cubase.

However, the original disc that he was given only has a project file. This tells me that the engineer who made the transfer does not really know what they are doing. It also means he will have to make a new CD with the proper files on it. At that time it may be a good idea to open the pool and see where all the files are physically located at. One other thing....

DO NOT let that same engineer execute any of the remove unused media commands. If he/she had say to projects stored in the same folder (newbie mistake), opened one, and removed all unused media from the hard disc itself (which often times people do so you aren't permanently tieing up HD space with useless files) it will also delete the files in that folder that you do want that belong to the other songs or projects that have been stored in the same folder.

Just a word of caution;)

cool thanks for the help guys, it should go smoothly.

just so i'm not searching through his whole hard drive, do cubase project folders (by DEFAULT) get placed under the program files / cubase directory? I ask, because in sonar, they are not saved this way. in sonar there are the program files / sonar which are the actual software files, then there is a completely different location under C:/ that is called cakewalk projects. this is where the audio projects are stored.

If you are not sure, just open a new project and see where it wants to save, or open the old one and click save as and see where it wants to save, or open the old one and look at the pool. I am not sure where Cubase saves by default since I have never saved to any default:D

Back