When you see awesome unknown performers on youtube

If you recognize genuine talent , you should support it. Buy their CD. Put a fiver in the case so's they can eat a burger. I'd like to think they would for me.

Genuine talent is indistinguishable from magic.

Answer is neither. I am by definition a bastard. I sail the pirate ship Revenge with the Dread Pirate Roberts.

The question should be why with so many good people on YouTube, TV presents us with musically incompetent drivel as ‘talent’?

audiences that stand up and give ovations for complete tat make me grump. I’ve been involved with musical theatre and live entertainment since 1984, and the number of times I have got to the end of a show and really felt wow, and stood up involuntarily and whooped are minimal, in fact, maybe just twice. Precovid shutdown, I stopped enjoying the finales of shows because the rule was everyone had to stand up! I didn’t!

on tv some talentless idiot who nobody told them they couldn’t sing suddenly sings a high note loudly and everyone cheers? The audience are also idiots. It’s like letting colour blind people pick interior decorating colours and we all have to paint out houses orange!

There's a spot in the Monterey Pop festival where Mama Cass is seeing Janis perform probably for the first time and she is just watching in awe kinda of shaking her head like she can't believe what she is seeing. I definitely have felt that kind of feeling several times watching unknown people do their thing on Youtube. Youtube allows great talent from all over the world to upload their thing and share it with out the star maker machineries help. Though the machine definitely participates and has an edge over the unknowns, it certainly helps level the playing field allowing a dog trainer in Oslo or a grandmother from Hoboken blow us away.
I definitely get inspired but on the depressed thing I wouldn't describe it as depressed as much as just swallowing that bitter pill, that harsh reality that no matter how hard I ever tried to emulate or create what that performer is pulling off, I don't have the patience, skills, charisma, that "it" thing to pull it off myself. That and the reality that there are a whole lot amazingly talented people that though they are amazingly talented and fun to watch will never know commercial success or world wide fame...

Youtube is pretty dang cool not only for music but educationally. I have learned so much stuff. 15 years ago someone took the time to video themselves replacing the AC/Heater and radio control system in a 2000 Infinite they owned with aftermarket parts to save themselves about $3000...God bless em...quite a complex task and they video taped the whole dang thing and talked their way through the whole procedure. There I was with my laptop putting it on pause at each step of the way replacing my daughters dead controller...That was my first epiphany of how cool this Youtube thing was going to be... I have posted a few repair tips, shared advice in the comments and learned so much on so many subjects ... We humans are quite entertaining and for all the knuckle heads there are the good out weighs the bad 100 fold.

I'm just glad to see that there are still youngsters who appreciate real music. I tire of the constant barrage of the canned beats of hiphop and rap with no melody, overblown bass notes, and lyrical content that is, too often, rude and crude. I have given up on listening to anything on "top 40" radio. There are some good artists on there, but you have to endure way too much trash to get to the one decent song.

I've heard some really stellar singers on shows like Idol, but I can't get into the gimmicked shows like Masked Singers. Unfortunately, too often the really talented singers are eliminated early. It becomes a popularity contest, not a talent contest. Hopefully those talents will find a way to make a living doing what they love.

Reactions: TAE

just glad to see that there are still youngsters who appreciate real music

These girls are Alanis Morrisette and Blink 182 , in a two peice.

Last edited:
Tom Ward does some weird avant garde classical guitar and that’s what inspired me to get into classical. Grisha Goryachev (IMO the best guitarist in the world) does some awesome flamenco, and that’s what inspired me to do flamenco. So I’d say they inspire me more than depress.

I'm a bit like that when I see Tommy Emmanuel. Its impressive that someone can do so much with just a guitar, and depressed that I can't do 20% of what he does, no matter how much I try.

does it inspire you, or depress you?

Or neither?
I get inspired that I can get away with what I do :ROFLMAO: But seriously, I get inspired and by watching better musicians you learn, even if you pick up 1% of what they do you are a % better in what you do.

By the way when the Emmanuel brothers were playing in the early days my cousin played with them, he once played me a recording of a jam in a hotel room, incredible.

Alan

I am impressed, but never inspired. Inspiration to me would mean me thinking 'hey, imagine what I could do', instead of wanting to sell everything (or give it away) and go live in a forest somewhere. That's how they make me feel.

Reactions: TAE
Among other emotions, There are those times when find myself with a smidge of Queen Jealousy and green envy welling up inside my simple minded mind...sometimes But for sure inspired to keep on keeping on....

Back