when to compress

MGS

I've been recording traditional jazz for some time now and have always applied some compression to the drum and vocal tracks during recording. I don't typically compress during mixdown so that I can preserve the dynamics of the music. Lately I've read several opinions stating that it really isn't worthwhile to compress at all during recording but you should apply a little during mixdown. Is this view shared by most visitors to this board?

Mark

I don't get it!

You say that you don't apply compression at mix because you want to preserve the natural dynamics, but, you apply compression while tracking. ?!?!?!?!?!?!? I don't get what the difference is going to be, any compression at all is going to alter the natural dynamics.

You have it backwards really. Traditionally, you would record without compression, then apply compression at mix if you need it. This way, you have the natural sound on tape unaltered by anything. Then at mix, you can decide how much you want to mess with that. Plus, a day later and you don't like the mix, you can always just redo the mix with different settings on the compressor, or without it at all.

Compression is a tool. Normally, it is a last resort type of tool. If you don't NEED to use it, don't.

Ed

Plus

On a Jazz recording I would be exspecialy carefull.
In Traditional Jazz do you mean Dixie or Bebop style?.
On a Bebop drummer the touch on the drums is so dynamic (every little strike to the snare plays a dynamic part etc..) I would not want to level in any way his sound, nor the rest of the group.

Unless your clipping I wouldn't even think about it.

Thanks Shailat,

I've been compressing needlessly it would seem. Thanks for the advice, and to sonusman, for the kick in the pants that I needed.

Mark

Back