When to apply effects?

sathyan

Which effects need to be applied prior to digitizing? i.e. which effects should be done in the analogue domain; which are OK doing in the software after recording. One converted to digital I want the recording to stay there until the CD player's DAC outputs it.

when in the signal chain should the following effects be used
1. Equalization
2. Compression
3. Overdrive/Distortion
4. Reverb
5. Flanger
6. Phaser
7. Chorus
8. Octaver
9. Noise Gate
10. De-Esser
11. Delay (Tape, etc.)
12. Tremelo
13. Wah

I know the answer is "it depends" but I'm looking

My basic signal chain is:
[Electric instrument & DI] or [Acoustic Instrument, Microphone & Preamp] into Fostex MR8HD. I can export to my PC. I have Audacity & Reaper so can use DirectX and VST effects. My microphones are Studio Projects B1, Shure SM57, MXL 990 and MXL 991. My preamps are Behringer MIC100 and those built in to my Yamaha MG10/2 mixer; I plan to get M-Audio DMP3 when it becomes available again.

thanks
sathyan

This depends a lot on your recording philosophy. If for instance, you are doing a "capture it the way its going to sound at the very end" that so many claim to want to do, then you may as well commit whatever fx you want to tape then and there.

Of course I never believed anyone that espoused that philosophy ever actually did it on a large track count project and I think its just another one of those lame ass sayings you hear all the time.

If you cant find a good version of one of your analog domain fx in digital land, then record a split with it on at the same time as a clean one. If you havent got the I/O to do that, then if you are REALLY sure about it, go ahead and commit, and dont look back.

Noisegate I wouldnt even think for one instant about doing in the analog realm, unless you dont have enough I/O and have to do submixing before sending to the PC

If you are going to analog tape, it can be a good idea if you are boosting any highs with an eq to do it before tape.

High track count issues aside (and yes, even the driest of dry engineers will use desk EQ, and outboard compression on a regular basis + electric guitar pretty much demands FX prior to reaching desk which can then cry out for EQ & compression prior to reaching recording medium), particularly as you are getting started recording as dry as possible is a functional strategy.

the best representation of the source is always going to the original capture. As you gain experience work flow can demand certain calculated decisions going into 'tape' (even so I try to DI dry guitar as well as bass . . . then if the FX+EQ+compression do not quite 'fit' I have something that does not require remedial surgery to work with to reamp, but all that requires additional simultaneous channels (mic @ amp grill, mic pulled out into the room, mic on guitar strings, + DI, for each guitar (plus maybe a split signal to ensemble room and isolated amp room), makes for 6 tracks/guitar part . . . with maybe two 'keepers' per guitar . . . one can see why gambling on experience to reduce post processing work load (everyone else leaves around midnight, I'm there till four, back in at 11 while talent shows up about 2pm) is beneficial for family life)

Still A/D'ng as dry as possible is always an acceptable rule of thumb

on individual tracks the very general rule of thumb is: dynamics first, EQ 2nd (changing dynamics after EQ will (as a very general rule) change that EQ to a greater degree then changing EQ will influence dynamics), time based FX last.

Rough mapping the sound field (pan) is next. Keeping in mind at all times that any successive adjustment can necessitate backtracking to subtly modify an earlier parameter. There is a systemic non-linearity to all of this.

settling the mix so the indivual tracks both sound good on their own and interact appropriately (which is not always 'politely', depending on material) in the mix creates the 'rough' template.

That template is then aesthetically broken in the creation of the final mix and during that process all bets are off as what is done in what order . . . just hang on to the template as a reference.

Back