"When The Rain Comes Down" - Final Mix???

Sounding pretty decent...even with it compressed by Soundclick. I think if you're going to use the effect on the vocals, drop the low end. Make it thinner. The low end on that distracts for me. It sounds like you went for a low-fi effect, but kept the bottom end. Make the vocals low-fi, or more natural. I think you have a good enough voice to keep it all natural if you want. The song as a whole is nice...really nice. Maybe even dropping the volume of this particular vocal would make it sit better. That's my nit...the vocals don't sit really well. I like the song though...it's put together well.

overall I like it.....

I havn't heard the past mixes so it's totally new to me

If I could change one thing I would try & round out the lead vocal a bit more. You sound like you have a BIG voice & it sounds a touch nasal where it could be a bit richer

my opinion only. overall I like it the harmonies are great & the guitar section is fantastic. What did you use guitarwise?? sounds nylon in the solo

HEY what I'm hearing on the voice would almost be like giving it a slight bass boost akin to a hifi bass control

good stuff man

slidey

Dogman said:
Sounding pretty decent...even with it compressed by Soundclick. I think if you're going to use the effect on the vocals, drop the low end. Make it thinner. The low end on that distracts for me. It sounds like you went for a low-fi effect, but kept the bottom end. Make the vocals low-fi, or more natural. I think you have a good enough voice to keep it all natural if you want. The song as a whole is nice...really nice. Maybe even dropping the volume of this particular vocal would make it sit better. That's my nit...the vocals don't sit really well. I like the song though...it's put together well.

LMAO we sort of agree & don't huh............... :D

aye keep it natural or go for the lofi. Put a gun at my head & make me choose..............NATURAL with a nice round tone

slidey said:
LMAO we sort of agree & don't huh............... :D

aye keep it natural or go for the lofi. Put a gun at my head & make me choose..............NATURAL with a nice round tone
I think we agree somewhat.... :D

I think losing teh distortion on the voice, and keeping it big would be best....I think he has a good voice, and the effect is not necessary. But if he wants the low-fi effect, then thin out the vocals even more.

Or not.... :D

i really like it, , my opinion is that you should go completely natural with the main vox, , i think the song has a real intimate feel and the natural vocals would compliment that, for me at least,, what it comes down to is what sounds best to you though. thats the beauty of writing your own songs, :)

nice piece man. i agree that you should go natural with the vocals. your voice does sound like it would do well without the effect and i don't see the effect adding anything to the song. also, the lead guitar kind of pops out (volume and finger attack i think).

I'm sure I've heard this one before. It's a good song, but I don't think the vocal effect suits the song, sounds like you've boosted it a bit too much. Otherwise the vocals and backing vocals are real nice.

The other thing that struck me is the hole left when you drop out the accoustic strumming, it's real sudden and obvious

You still seem to have some effect on your vocals - I call it the telephone effect. I'm not sure how it's being generated (Maybe it's the microphone...not sure.....Effect Rack?). It sounds okay if that's what you're going for. I think there is a general consensus to hear it with less effect and more bottom end. The vocals are really really good and the push is for a cleaner or fuller (bassier?) version - but still with reverb and some comp for even level. The song is excellent - the mix has definitely improved (less effect) but it's not quite where people would like it eq - wise.

a27thletter said:
thats the beauty of writing your own songs, :)

I agree. But have to say I find it hard to have a good sense of objective critique on my own stuff which is why I am blessed with a brutally honest father & a few learned friends who also tell it like they hear it & this helps a lot to iron things out

I have a real problem bumping my vocals loud enough & also keyboard parts I've played because I don't consider myself a keys player

this forum is handy to have people take a listen & come back with constructive comments & the general concensus seems to be to have it more natural.

The track in question has been heard by others before, I havn't heard it & with a fresh pair of ears said more less what everybody else said. I think what I'm trying to say is there is always a fresh pair of ears willing to make an assesment with an open mind. You don't have to like the music to appreciate what's gone into it, as it happens I really like this piece

Thank you everyone! :)

The "effect" on the vocal must be signal processing courtesy of the preamp at recording, because the vocal tracks at mixdown are negligible at most. I am generally OK now with the vocal sound, although I see from many plays today that the lead vox sit too high in the mix (IMO). BTW, I spent half the day trying to retrack the vox yesterday, and managed to get a more natural sound but failed to track a performance I was happy with. I am a royal pain in the arse... :rolleyes:

I finally get happy with the rhythm guitar mix when I decided to hard pan the nylon and steel tracks to either side. Made the mix less cluttered. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. :confused:

Some other issues to be fixed tonight when the kids go to bed:

1) the "dropoff" at 1:49 (classical guitar solo). will be re-inserting the nylon rhythm track there for balance

2) the pre-verse guitar refrains, which IMO need work

I'll get there in the end. i'll post another version later. Thanks again everyone.

Chris

slidey - thanks for your comments and for checking in on this thread. :)

I completely agree regarding the fresh set of ears. I post my songs here and a couple of other places for that very reason. The people here know so much more about recording than me, and I learn a lot. I don't go with every suggestion that is made, but all of my songs have benefited from the input I have received here.

You all rock! :D

Chris

Back