when multitrack recording....

morty77

and your recording keyboards is it necessary
to record stereo out or wll it sound good recording keyboards mono out?
morty77

and your recording keyboards is it necessary
to record stereo out or wll it sound good recording keyboards mono out?
morty77

Depends what you're recording. For lead synth parts or maybe solo woodwind instruments, mono would probably work. On most keyboards (and thinking of my Motif), there are usually some kind of effects (stereo effects) that help enhance the sound, or perhaps panning of piano sounds from left (lower octaves) to right (higher octaves). I usually record the Motif with both L and R outputs or the digital out.

Back in the day when recording my DX7, I recorded mono then added effects after the fact (maybe some delay or reverb). The DX7 I had only had a mono output to begin with.

I'd say it's not "necessary", but it depends on the application.

thanks for your response, I guess my concern is that I use keyboards only to record all my music
and I own 6 of them and my digital recorder
is 16 track but only 8 inputs "zoom hd16"
and Im not an expert with this machine so Im trying
to put as much as possible in as little as possible
some of the manual is rocket science to me
Id like to know how to even bounce some tracks

steve

Yeah, it really depends on what you're recording; not only what type of sound you're recording, but what instrument you're recording. Newer boards typically use stereo samples for instruments such as pianos. Thus a stereo recording setup will lead to better quality/authenticity.

Most of the time on a heavy piano recording you want stereo. Unless its a rock song and its becoming to busy. It really depends on what kind of stuff you are doing and if there are going to be other things in the mix. With effects you usually want stereo but with just a mono synth you want mono.

Back