when mixing or mastering>

should i or should i not have the bass boost switch on the back of my monitors on?
Only if you need it to try and compensate for room acoustics that are sucking up your bass response.

If you find that what sounds good at your mixing desk winds up sounding way too bass-y when you lay it back in all other locations, then you might want to try the bass boost to compensate for that.

G.

But in any case, you'd be much (MUCH!!!) better off fixing the room. If you're experiencing a null point, a bass boost is going to throw you off even more than you already are. A minimal room treatment will go a lot further than - Well, pretty much anything you could possibly do.

But in any case, you'd be much (MUCH!!!) better off fixing the room. If you're experiencing a null point, a bass boost is going to throw you off even more than you already are. A minimal room treatment will go a lot further than - Well, pretty much anything you could possibly do.

thats a good read....i have actually read it twice before and is a large reason why i am saving up for some rigid fiberglass that is sold locally (oc703) im goign to add it as i ca afford it....thanks again

As long as you aren't banging into the panels, go for mineral wool, same effect, less cost. Something like 2.5 lbs/cubic foot is good. Just remember to cover it in fabric, otherwise, touch it at your own peril. But in addition to absorption, don't forget diffusion, that will go a long way to providing good room response (most all room acoustics is based on the assumption of a diffuse field). Use the panels to create as much of an RFZ as possible and diffusion for the later sounds. If you still have bass problems, you will know it isn't the room. If your monitors are near a wall or corner, then don't use the bass boost as you are already probably enhancing your bass response by putting the monitors near a boundary.

Back