when mixing drums

systmovadown

when i mix my bass drum and make it clicky and whatnot....to make it the most clickiest possible, the cymbals are overheard which affects the main mix making it sound very disgusting.

how can i get rid of the overloud cymbals without affecting the "pureness" of the click?

thanks

If it isn't clicking at the source then you must be eq boosting a bunch to get it. And if the kick isn't isolated...
Bingo.
Solution 1: Get the click at the source. Or, go into Fix and Damage Control mode: gate it.

if you can rerecord it, then isolate it somehow. theres a method which involves a chair and a sleeping bag but i dont remember it. anyone?

Use hard beaters, tune the drum low, hit it hard. If that doesn't work, get a Danmar pad. The click should be 75-80% there when it's recorded, it shouldn't take so much EQ that it makes your cymbals sound wierd. That is a more common problem when EQing toms. If this is happening with the kick, the drummer isn't hitting hard enough.

Ive heard of people taping plastic cards (ie bank cards) infront of the beater to give it a little extra click. I havent tried it yet, although I am planning on soon ... maybe that could help you get a bigger click at the source.

Half dollars used to work too. You have to use something other that duct tape, when you wear though the tape, it makes your beater sticky. Get a Danmar pad, it's the same thing, but a lot more durable.

Back