When I was just a little boy

tallman

In high school I decided to rent a Yamaha MT8X and some mics so I could record my high school band. If I remember correctly, I decided to try a new microphone -- I believe it was a battery powered AKG C1000S.

Well, when I plugged this thing in, I was just astonished. The sound of analog tape and the C1000 blew my mind. I had never heard anything like the sound of a condenser before, and it changed the way I thought about recording technology. It was a big eye-opener.

A lot of people probably feel this way the first time they play with a condenser microphone. My question is this..

Have you played with any microphones recently that gave you that eye-opening feeling of "not everything is the same" -- something that really blew your mind? I'm starting to build a collection of microphones, and I'd like to focus on mics with very distinctive character, and fill in the inbetweens later on.

What mic blew your mind?

I remember having a pleasant experience with some Earthworks reps at CMW a few years ago. I'll definitely check these out again.

Come to think of it, I think I had a similar "wow" experience after playing with an Earthworks . . . and later with a Stapes.

Maybe it's just the whole idea of listening to something that sounds so balls-on accurate and realistic. It's just not something that you're used to. Mind you, it's not always the right thing -- most often, you're using a mic because it has a particular sound to it.

Depending, of course, on what it is you're recording. For ambient or film sounds (AVM, etc.) or classical music, it tends to be more ideal than with most types of pop or rock music.

Back