When I killed RAMI, he was listening to this...

elcholo

DALEEEBOOOOO
OK. I need a new set of ears on this song. I've listened no less than 30000 times, and now I can't distinguish a guitar from the drums ;)

I'm looking for:

1. production of the song. how does it flow.
2. sounds - do they mesh together, too much distortion, not enough, etc
3. mix - I honestly can't hear a thing anymore. what is too loud, what isn't clear, what blows.

I am hearing something very weird between teh bass/kick and I have no clue what it is.

qualifiers:

1. I played all instruments, as this is the "Idea" stage that I send to the client. If he likes the overall 'vision', then I get teh real playa's for the final takes, dig? So don't give me any crap about my scratch guitar lead - i'll cry like a girl.
2. That is my new supra-phonic! Please tell me how it sounds. I sleep with this thing every night, and my wife doesn't like it one little bit...however, if she knew the online community I frequent on teh internets during the day likes it, she might come to understand.
3. There is no real EQ'ing going on except for the mid boost on teh snare, and the low boost on the kick.
4. Guitars - Noob > '99 American Tele > Tuner > Chorus > TubPre > Marshall MG15CDR > sm57
5. Bass - Peavy 5 String > DI
6. Drums - Yam Stg Custom. Beta52, sm57's, and MSH1's for OHs
7. Nord and Yam keyboards
8. Tracked through a Behri MX9000 to the HD24 - mixed in a box

thanks in advance

Cholo

The Rhodes sample has some distortion in the low notes in my h/phones.
A really good sketch & vision BUT it's very polite/nice/pleasant.
Could there be a nasty hook in the lyric at the reprise or something? Sort of like "It's sum um er, watch out for mela no mah ah, el Nino is a bum mah ah, air conditioned air will hum mer er"
Is the Phonic a pre or something - i'm an ignorant sod?

The Rhodes sample has some distortion in the low notes in my h/phones.
A really good sketch & vision BUT it's very polite/nice/pleasant.
Could there be a nasty hook in the lyric at the reprise or something? Sort of like "It's sum um er, watch out for mela no mah ah, el Nino is a bum mah ah, air conditioned air will hum mer er"
Is the Phonic a pre or something - i'm an ignorant sod?

Ludwig Supra-phonic = Snare drum I bought, brand new, for $250. I think they're more expensive than that. They're awesome.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-SupraPhonic-Snare-Drum?sku=446280

I like the Melanomah and Nino is a bummah! however, I didn't write it and I'd have to stick with his words. now...if he lets me record it, those lyrics are in there, and i'll cut you a check immediately!

thanks for listening!

cholo

Writer says this song is all about being in the summer of his life. Kids are teen and tween - their spring is over, summer has begun - fun times for all now, all is good - but he knows winter is coming, and he'll be left with those summer memories.

Anyone else?

Cholo

NOTES FROM THE GRAVE:

Sounds good. I agree with Kevin that a harmony would bring up the chorus, even if it's only on the word "Summer". Drums sound pretty good, but I find the snare a little...either muffled, or it could use some highs. It almost sounds like it was well recorded, but then over-EQ'd with the high's suffering the mostt. Hi hats and cymbals sound great, kik sounds good. Nice mix overall.

Kevin Said:

Sounds good ! It could use a vocal harmony in the chorus to build it up a little bit.The guitar solo hits some funky notes to my ear. Maybe a little more roughness/emotion in the vocal. kevin....

Thanks for listening and the comments. I told you guys above not to ridicule my guitar solo - now i'm crying like a girl. :D The idea I tried to capture was sort of a Santana sounding distortion/tone on the guitar for the solo. When we retrack the solos, i'll use 'real' studio musicians ;) I will work with the client on the vocal harmonies when we re-track them for keeps. This was his scratch take, and he recorded it to his own playing (which was horribly out of pocket), so I had to try to resynch his vocal track to my scratch takes - hence lack of emotion.

Rami Said:
NOTES FROM THE GRAVE:

Sounds good. I agree with Kevin that a harmony would bring up the chorus, even if it's only on the word "Summer". Drums sound pretty good, but I find the snare a little...either muffled, or it could use some highs. It almost sounds like it was well recorded, but then over-EQ'd with the high's suffering the mostt. Hi hats and cymbals sound great, kik sounds good. Nice mix overall.

Thanks for listening and the comments. I will futz around with EQ'ing the snare for some highs, or backing off the mids so the highs come out more. RE: Hats/Cymbals - MSH1s in a MSP config. I've never been happier with recording my drums!

Cholo

I think this arrangement should definitely generate some interest...it has great potential. I really like the electric piano sound and the playing, but it breaks up quite a bit as I think ray mentioned...nice job.

Heat said:

I think this arrangement should definitely generate some interest...it has great potential. I really like the electric piano sound and the playing, but it breaks up quite a bit as I think ray mentioned...nice job.

Thanks for listening. I have always loved the E to C#m7 chord progression, it doesn't pop up alot, so when he played it for me, i almost instantly fell in love with it - despite the horrible first lyric "Mustard covered Bratwurst" ;)

and yes, the keyboard distorts out ehre and there. that Wurlitzer pad, when you play normally, stays just perfect, but the minute you start to chomp on teh keys, it distorts out - so it's hard to get good levels. I may use the Rhodes that I used on the solo for the whole thing, that way I can tone it down some...

Cholo

Sounds pretty good!

i think that i'd tone down the tremelo effect...it gets old fast. the snare sounds good to me, i'd just bring it up in the mix. rest of the drums sound great. Vocals sound good to me. will be a cool song. I wish my ideas could come out that well...

Good luck with it, and let us know when it's done!!

JasonBird

i think that i'd tone down the tremelo effect...it gets old fast. the snare sounds good to me, i'd just bring it up in the mix. rest of the drums sound great. Vocals sound good to me. will be a cool song. I wish my ideas could come out that well...

Good luck with it, and let us know when it's done!!

JasonBird

I hadn't noticed that being overbearing on the tremolo. maybe I can use it like a leslie on a B3. thanks for the tips and for listening!

Cholo

Back