What's YOUR Process?

richardmac

You own a home studio. You come into some money - could be $100, or $500, or whatever. How do YOU decide where to put the money?

In the bank until someone else makes that decision for you.

It really depends on your goals, and the time frame that you think that you can accomplish them in. If your current goals are set and met, then save up for a rainy day, or expand your current functionality. Color laser jet printer for fancy CD labels that don't bleed when wet? Jukebox type CD / DVD burner for quicker turn around times. Portable CD burner to burn it live and toss it at them on your way out the door. While you master something better at home. Or at least those are things I'd like to expand on eventually. But I do more on location remote stuff. And of course portable power is always an issue. You never know when you'll need to record a 24 hour telethon on top of mount everest.

You own a home studio. You come into some money - could be $100, or $500, or whatever. How do YOU decide where to put the money?
Every time I upgrade my studio, I try to aim directly at the weakest link. One thing at a time. Room treatment is a must. Then look at your mics, your preamps, your converters, your instruments, your outboard gear. Which one is holding back your sound from where you would like it to be. I have personally found the biggest improvement in sound with room treatment and good mics. Once we got the room treated and some great sounding mics, it made us want to go back and re-record a lot of stuff. YMMV of course.

I try to always ask- "what am I recording lately?" and "what did I want that I didn't have?".
Unfortunately, most of the things I want cost quite a bit more than $1000. When I was recording a radio play with multiple open mics, I was increasing my collection of dynamic mics and number of channels. Lately I've been working on a micro-remote rig. Sometimes it's hard to buy the tools you need instead of the toys you want.-Richie

Yeah, I sort of do something like that. But it can be difficult, especially when your whole studio is made up of "good enough" parts. Almost every piece of gear I own is "good enough." The one exception is my acoustic guitar - I bought a Larrivee D-03 and I absolutely love it. But all the rest of my gear? I run Logic Pro... but it's Logic Pro 7. On an intel Mac... but it's a 17 inch iMac. I have a Fender Strat... but it's a MIM Strat. I sing through a Rode NT1-A. I use Alesis Monitor One speakers. And so on. All of this stuff is fine. I don't hate any of it. The problem is that when I want to upgrade, it seems like ALL of the pieces are fair game! LOL.

Not really. I can't afford a new Mac. I can't afford an American Strat. What I can afford is maybe a new mic - I've been reading up a lot on mics and posted a thread in the mic forum.

The other topic I'm interested in, and I'm going to read up on here, is temporary acoustic treatment. I am in a position where I can't make permanent changes to the rooms I use (because my wife would kill me) so I'm looking into stuff I can do to a room that I can undo. But that's another thread in a different place. I'm hijacking my own thread.

I like the weakest link approach - that's why I'm leaning towards getting a better microphone.

I'm scheming about what my next move is going to be long before I come into any money. It's never a problem.

I'll usually target the weakest link, but personally I'd like to expand the range of mics I have. I think it makes the biggest difference to the overall product. I'm really into getting things right at the tracking stage so I don't have to worry too much about fixing anything later with plugs etc.

Hiring stuff is a major PITA.

Personally I'm not too worried about gear now. All of my gear is good enough that if I can't get a good recording the problem is not the gear.

While time= money, unfortunately money doesn't = time so I can't buy more time which is what I need to practice, rehearse and write. I think now I have a couple of reasonable mics, pre's, converters as well as decent in the box stuff what I need most is the time to actually use it as well as become a better singer, musician, writer and engineer.

Maybe I should spend that $500 on some voice lessons

Back