Whats your favourite guitar amp mic?

solarscar

Trying to shop for a new mic for guitar amp placement. I have been using my AKG cb2000b but was wondering what are you using?

My first grab for distorted guitars is the MD421 or the Beyer M88 (for a very tight sound), for clean guitars I prefer a neutral sounding LDC like the SP B1, MXL V77 or Neumann M149, although the 421 (or 441) and the M88 will do the job quite good as well.

I don't have any Audio Technica LDC's, but I suppose these will work great too.

BLUE Baby Bottle, except that it's so hot that it clips the input of some of my preamps, including my Summit.

cominginsecond said:
BLUE Baby Bottle, except that it's so hot that it clips the input of some of my preamps, including my Summit.

Ya you gotta get a "inline pad" for that mic...I like all the same mics as everyone else..dam I'm boring LOL !AEA R84 is cool on guits also as is the R121..

I love the baby bottle also but it has such a hot output it clips quickley. any particular inline pad you reccomend?

In no particular order: the BLUE Dragonfly (for clean guitar), ATM25 (for distorted guitar), MD421 (most guitar), AT3035 (most guitar).

N_Yeager said:
I love the baby bottle also but it has such a hot output it clips quickley. any particular inline pad you reccomend?

I trust whirlwind. They come in 10, 20, and 30 db versions. 10 is probably fine for most applications.

i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who likes the RE38 on amps. i think it's got a VERY nice sound--much more warm and detailed than an sm57. however, when i'm tracking a band, my RE38 is usually stuck up inside the kick instead. ;)

when i'm just tracking a guitar amp (overdub, etc), the RE38 is my "go to" mic for up close (as well as for vocals on me--it's probably my favorite of my small batch of mics). sometimes, though, i'll use an old unidyne 545--it depends on the sound i'm going for and the amp i'm micing. sometimes a senn e835 has the freq curve i need.

then i put either the SP B1 or MXL V67 about 4-6 feet back and mix to taste.

still need to get me one of those 609's (or an old 409).

cheers,
wade

Big Kenny said:
AT 3035 (thanx Warren)

'tis a good amp mic! Yer welcome.

My favorite is the AEA R84 though. :)

A good inexpensive cab mic is the AT804 dynamic omni. I use it on clean guitars more than crunchy. Very easy mic to place and has a high end that works well on the cleaner tones on a budget.

War

mrface2112 said:
i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who likes the RE38 on amps. i think it's got a VERY nice sound--much more warm and detailed than an sm57. however, when i'm tracking a band, my RE38 is usually stuck up inside the kick instead. ;)

I think it's probably more to do with the fact that not a lot of people have them. The RE38 is a great mic, but always seemed to play second fiddle to the RE20, which is probably fair enough, but it's not very far below.
I like it in the kick too, but my goto kick mic is an older model M88.

solarscar said:
Trying to shop for a new mic for guitar amp placement. I have been using my AKG cb2000b but was wondering what are you using?
Wow, checkout all the above mics... it almost looks like most people here for the most part use different mics and there is no one clear winner that would make the choice really easy. I know the feeling bro. All I can tell you is I've used some of the above recommend mics but not all... and one of my favorite mics for this task is the Sennheiser MD421. With that said... part of the fun of home recording is learning about which mics you like best for each task... take your time, do it right, audition some mics and enjoy yourself. :)

Back