What's Your Favorite Keyboard Lately?

Rev E

I recently decided to add a new synth or two to change up my sound. Since I'm in the market, I've been in the music store checking out some really nice synths. I've really begun to fall in love with the Roland sound (considering getting an XP30). I have access to a korg Trinity and like it very much also. I've hear really good things about the Triton (but when I tried it soon after it came out... it's "pre hype" days, I didn't remember it being the "knockout punch" that everyone NOW says it is... although I though there were some good sounds in there). I'm also liking the E-mu stuff... I recently check out the Proteus 2000 (liked it- -but for the most part... very safe sounds), but I'm waiting to hear the Mo' Phatt before I buy one of those.

So what synths are you guys into lately?? and Why??? Also tell the general styles that you're into. I do a variety from Pop to R&B, some Hip-Hop and some modern orchestral. Right now, I use a Roland JV 1010 module (will probably sell it for a Roland board with keys), an Ensoniq KT-76, and Alesis QS 6.1 and a LM-4 Drum Module plug-in. So as you can see my "sound" is pretty "safe". I'm going for something that can do some really wild and extreme stuff.

Rev E

I'm using a Roland MC-303 and a Nord Modular.
I like Roland equipment too, and they do usually sound good. I've noticed that most of their things have a tendency to sound "nice", with a distinct lack of "nasty" sounds. This does not go for the earlier analog things, like the TB-303, for example.
This is however made up by the Nord modular that can make any analog sound imaginable some more. :)

hey REV E. I remember you. Youre the law student hu gave me advice the other day that i didnot pay for. THanks.

I am in the market for a JV 1010 module. About how much are you looking to get for yours?

Hey CyanJaguar:

I'll just add the "free advice" to the bill for the JV1010. :D It's about 4 months old. Great sounds. In great condition (studio use only) I'm looking for $320, I'll pay shipping. Are you interested?

Rev E

I wanted to email you but

your email was blocked, so I have to reply here.
I am very interested. Can you email me with your email address or phone number so that we can talk.

thanks

When you think about adding a keyboard, I guess you try to fill a hole in your collection. That's the case for me. My stuff includes a Kurzweil PC88mx and K2000S, Korg DSS-1 and EX-8000, Yamaha TX81Z, Minimoog, Roland R8.

So there are two types of keyboards I've been considering for a while. One is a good B3 organ sound. I think my first choice would be the Hammond XK-2 and a Motion Sound Pro-3T. I'm a bit of a prog-rock dinosaur and I like the Wakeman/Emerson/Genesis thing. Also some Deep Purple stuff. (None of them used a Leslie actually, but I like the sound anyway.) I'm wondering how the new Korg CX3 is compared to others.

The other thing I'm thinking about is some kind of virtual analog synth. I've got analog somewhat covered with the EX-8000 and the Minimoog. I'm not sure yet why virtual analog is better than real analog, but then I haven't played the VA synths much. I only played with the Nord Lead a bit, and I really liked the pitch controller. I'd also like to check out the Waldorf Q, although it's very expensive. I'm wondering if I should consider something cheaper instead, like a Nord modular or a Korg MS2000/R, just to get it out of my system. I'm also a big fan of Vangelis. Some of his older tradmark sounds sound to me like a Roland---maybe a Jupiter 8. I wonder if I can get a sound like that from a VA.

Some people say that even the K2000 can have a analog-ish sound. Although I think that sample-based synths are too grainy sounding, not smooth. Now listen to Keith Emerson's modular Moog on ELP's triple live album. There's a BIG sound. I've never yet found a keyboard that can sound like that. I'm wondering if there's a VA keyboard somewhere that can do it.

OK, way too much rambling. I'd better stop.

Jim

The Kurzweill K2000 sure has the best of the piano sounds - does anyone know about the B4. I believe it's a virtual synth from Steinberg...anyone know about it??

Cheers
john

Rev E

How is that Alesis QS? I seen it in Musicians Friend but really havnt heard much about..I make rap/hip hop beats so how would it be? I really havnt heard of many producers using it thats why I ask..

The Alesis QS and Hip Hop

Rolex,

The Alesis QS is a fine keyboard and is a great value considering the price and the features. It's probably not the board that you would get for the "out-of-the-box" hip hop sound. Most of the instruments are thin on the low end. It just doesn't stand up to the low frequency needs of the typical hip hop producer. That's why I sold mine. There are a lot of great pads, synth leads and other hi frequency instruments that make sense for Pop and New Age, but not for Hip Hop or R&B. When I bought it, I bought it I bought it to use it as a sample reader. I bought a Flash RAM card and loaded it with my own custom drum samples. It worked for that purpose, although it was at times a longer process than I wanted.

There are a lot of great boards that have heavier low end instruments and much better drums than the QS for Hip Hop work. I favor the Roland sound now. Also check out the Korg Triton and the Emu modules such as the new Mo Phatt or the older Planet Phatt. Even Emu's Proteus 2000 has a wide variety of Hip Hop and traditional sounds that would be a good general purpose addition. I've also hear good things about the Korg Electribe boxes, although I wasn't as impressed when I auditioned them and read the fine print. Also consider a sampler (software of hardware) if you don't have one. I think that that's one of the more powerful investments for Hip Hop!

E

help with upgrading

I am relatively new at recording. I began in 1997. I am a licensed electrician in Ohio. I own(vs1680,kurzweil k2500xs,alesis monitor twos,quadraverb,akg, and sennheiser mics,a computer w/gina soundcard and breakout box,cakewalk professional 6 or 7, the 1 effects card for the 1680. I have been told by many that I have what I need to take my music where I want. My goals: I want to start my own publishing/production company to create and exploit my original music and that of others. Can any who have experience at this level suggest further item for the studio to enhance creativity, and better sounds, those that are more up to date. I've visited a studio in Detroit, that would do consultation with me, but of course that costs. I am ok on the 1680,and I do almost all of my music out of the kurzweil. No samples, no drum machine. I intend on purchasing an mpc3000 soon. I do not have a sound booth yet, but it is coming. But as far as equipment useful in the genres of R&B, pop, some smooth jazz,and a little hip-hop,I'd like some suggestions. I am not as efficient as I'd like to be using my computer equipment. Please help!!! Thanks.

Daddy P,

The Kurzweil k2500 is a great keyboard/workstation/sampler! I play a K2500 at church. Have you really blown this instrument using it's sample capabilities? The K2500's factory sounds are great quality but you would need more in the drums area for hip hop work. An MPC3000 would be nice, go for it when you can. But for now, I would suggest using your K2500 to it's fullest capabilities (as a sampler or sample player). Keyboard magazine has companies advertised in each issue that make samples for various formats. If you haven't invested in buying new instrument samples for the K2500, then go for it. If you have already bought and used samples for your K2500, then just keep doing what you're doing.

Rev E

more k2500xs questions

Hello Rev, it's DADDY P. You responded to my post on upgrading my studio. I was hoping to purchase the mpc2xl not the 3000, I thought I edited that error. I've heard it is a must buy!!! Also as I mentioned in my post, I am relatively new to the whole recording world(1997) I simply create all my own original music,having had no formal training. I don't really think it is an ear that I have seeing that as of yet I don't think I could just play what I hear. But my further questions were concerning using the sampling capabilities of the 2500!! I know I am not using it to it's full potential!! I know nothing about sampling!! Can u give me some input? This is also open to any others who can give input on using the sample capabilities of my k2500xs

Your K2500 can read samples through its Floppy disk port (right now). Also, you can expand your K2500 by adding more RAM (so that you can load larger sample libraries into your K2500). You can also add a SCSI CD-ROM or Zip disk through the SCSI port on the back of the instrument. By loading new sampled instruments (through the floppy drive or the SCSI port) you effectively have totally new sounds without buying a new keyboard. Even if you're not using loops, you should at least be buying sample libraries (especially drums for Hip Hop) so that you can get a sound that's different from the factory sounds. While they are good, the factory sounds leave a lot to be desired for Hip Hop.

All of these expansions that I refer to can be done through any authorized Kurzweil support center or dealer. You can also expand your K2500 to include the sampling function, where you can now sample live audio, etc... Basically, with that board, the possibilities are endless, as long as you have the money for the upgrades.

At my church, we don't use any of the advanced features of our K2500 or our Trinity ProX. And since, I can't take either of these two monsters home, I can't really do much about this fact. But if your own one at home, theres no reason that you should be restricted to using just the factory ROM sounds with such a powerful workstation.

The k2500 can also load samples from an internal HD (if you buy one).

The only problem with the kurz is that while it reads it's on format,
other formats like Roland Akai Ensonic don't always load well as they might be missing data, or you have to edit the samples to fix the attack decay etc....

It is such a deep keyboard that to reprogram it, you need to realy get your hands dirty. And being such a comlicated beast, it is better to buy only Kurz format as somebody has done all the work for you.

Thanks Rev and Shailat for your responses. It will definitely give me some options. Another question though, you were speaking of buying sample librairies, cd roms, and zips. How would using these components differ from buying modules. For instance I really like the korg triton. I almost bought one, but the music store salesperson helped me to see that I didn't need to buy another keyboard, as you mentioned, but that I could use the sample option. but I have also heard and viewed the module(for the triton) in a catologue. So would I be able to get those kinds of sounds without purchasing a module.? I mean would korg offer it's sounds on a floppy or cd rom, or zip? You see where I'm going? I'm just trying to explore my options without needlessly wasting money, by being redundant with my purchases!! ie; Would it be advantageous for me to purchase cd roms, zips, and floppies to achieve my goal along with the modules, or would that be basically buying the same things twice? I hope you all get the gist of what I am asking!!! This is in reference to again using the sampling capabilities of my k2500xs.. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Back