What's Wrong With My Roland JD-800?

Phreesoal

I'm the original owner and purchaser of a Roland JD-800 when they were released years ago.

It has been babied, hardly played over the years and is in awesome cosmetic condition. It played fine for all of these years up until about September of this year. I had contemplated selling it because I don't use it much, but don't really want to sell if I can fix it affordably before selling. It has never had any repair work done on it, nor has it ever undergone any maintenance.

The Problem:

One night in September, I turned it on and heard an awful static sound played on top of the notes. However, I can still hear the notes and when I change patches, I can hear the correct patch being played, except this awful static is heard, much louder than the patch/note.

Does anyone know this board well enough to tell me what's wrong and how I may be able to troubleshoot it myself? I spoke to one local citizen who said he could come diagnose it but at a tune of $150/hour. That's a bit steep for me.

Thanks...

the problem you are hearing is going to be something the average person is not going to be able to help you with , i suggest taking it to your local roland dealer and getting them to look at it and have it fixed by an authorized technician. The electronics inside musical instruments are very specialized and not something the average hobbyist should be playing with.

Unfortunately the hourly rate will be commensurate with the skill of the service technician. But there really is no substitute for getting it fixed by the right people. ;)

I agree with the advice regarding sending the unit back to a Roland service center for repair. It sounds like something went bad on the audio outputs, since the sounds themselves apparently are still playing fine.

I personally wouldn't let a "local citizen" anywhere near my cherished equipment. Plus, $150 an hour is a bit steep for that. I think taking it to an authorized Roland service center could possibly cost less as well.

Phreesoal said:
It has been babied, hardly played over the years and is in awesome cosmetic condition. It played fine for all of these years up until about September of this year. I had contemplated selling it because I don't use it much, but don't really want to sell if I can fix it affordably before selling.
Phreesoal,

There is no getting away from a proper Roland technician. Not necessarily the only way, but in your case, confined from the right (really right) people around you… this is the best thing to do.

However, diagnose shouldn't be your penalty. Perhaps, you could look for the best music store, store where you usually purchase your instruments? Someone you know there maybe?

With the right approach you could get JD-800 at least checked for a symbolic fee (sometimes, for free if you are regular customer) who knows. Worthy attempt.

If you are really presently financially stretched. Lets just say that your JD-800 is completely operational right now... Let me ask you this... :

1) You love the machine, but feel … time to move toward something else?

2) The value from the JD-800 is something you already dedicated for concrete piece of new gear?

3) You want this sound and consider something similar/from Roland? (change)

I love JD-800 and from those times, if I would have to choose only one box, JD-990 (True stereo engine) is the only thing more interesting. But probably, teamed, they make superb inspiration for ideas :)

If you look in your local/web ads, or from your favorite mag. You could simply state, that you want to change your JD-800 for something else, (just for example) like JD-990,(to stay in the same, but more powerful waters)

Or, if you find something interesting, you could make your own initiative to offer JD-800 for that change. Both scenarios are possible, even with JD-800 in present shape. There are many experienced people who are not troubled with such prospect and would gladly agree on this.

Probably would want to check your JD-800, but you have nothing to hide. In fact, use this topic (link) for even better
clarification of your motives. Just a thought.

Phreesoal said:
I'm the original owner and purchaser of a Roland JD-800 when they were released years ago.
JD-800 was released early in 1991.

Technically, (very soon) it would be almost safe to say, they were released decades ago ;)

'

You guys are the best and thanks for chiming in to help me!

I want to sell it to get other music goodies, possibly a new keyboard or soft-synths if I move away from hardware.

I guess I just like my possessions working before trying to sell it. If I sell in the current condition, I honestly have no idea of how much to price it for.

There is a brand new Guitar Center in my town but store reps there have already advised me to contact another "independent" keyboard repair guy who attends a local college. I will contact Roland for direction.

The guy I mentioned who said he charges $150 an hour, I actually met at the Guitar Center grand opening after first meeting his wife. He and his wife were there testing out Yammy keyboards.

The wife mentioned that her husband has repaired keyboards before, specifically stating that he was one of 4 techs to look at someone's board and the only one who could fix it within 15 min. The husband said that he thinks it could be that my board got zapped by lightening from a storm because this happens often to boards left plugged. I wouldn't have any idea though on what affect a lightening hit would have unless it completely fried it, which is not the case.

Thanks again... :)

Back