Whats the whole purpose of using delay

chills

i hear alot of delay in professional recordings and i dont see why.. some people say its to add a extra tone to your voice but really the chorus effects in cool edit pro does that better than delay.. so what do yall feel about the effectiveness of the delay effect as far as adding richness and strength to your voice vs the chorus effect

Not sure if I can be of much help, chorus is a delay, but also has a chorusing effect to it, so I can understand why it would sound better.

Delay will give the illusion of elongating the vocals to make them not sound so choppy. It works the same way adding mirrors to a room opens the room up a bit. If you analize it, it ruins the effect.

chills said:
i hear alot of delay in professional recordings and i dont see why.. some people say its to add a extra tone to your voice but really the chorus effects in cool edit pro does that better than delay.. so what do yall feel about the effectiveness of the delay effect as far as adding richness and strength to your voice vs the chorus effect

As was said before, chorus is actually a delay with a very short repeat time (like ms) and not a lot of feedback. a very subtle delay with a longer repeat time can really "open up" a recording. It adds a lot of depth and dimension to the existing dry track. If you're using stereo delay, you can really broaden the sound stage by having subtle repeats in the left and right channels. i like delay a lot but everything i record with my band right now is instrumental...so i'm a bit biased towards delay on the guitar.

chorus is a short delay (10ms to 30ms) with no feedback and the delay is modulated (shifted) so the delay time is not constant. This shifting changes the pitch of the delayed signal slightly and gives you that effect.
A flanger is almost the same thing with a shorter delay time and feedback.

yeah i just noticed that i just recently used delay on one of my recordings.. its sort of similar to reverb if you tweak the delay time and dry and wet mixing

Back