Whats The Dillio

Dioxide

This was also posted in the cooledit Forum

<I recently did a two song demo for my band a rush job of about a week using cool edit pro, a delta 44 break out box and a small behringer 6 channel mixer 2 akg instr mics, sm57 a beta green and an audix kick drum mic. It came out ok but I can't pick out what it is that I'm not crazy about theres something in the sound i can't get afix on. You can get a copy of both the songs at mp3.com. It will be the first 2 songs displayed. Thanx to anyone who can give me some suggestions about how everything sounds as a whole or what things stick out too much. Thanx

Dioxide :confused:

First, if it's your band, why did you do a rush job? Take your time.

Second, why is the snare panned slightly to the right? And why is the guitar centered? Try adding a second guitar, and panning them a little more. The guitar sound is decent, but if you used a little less distortion and added a second guitar, it would be a lot heavier.

The drumming is very good, but the kick sound is flabby. Maybe it's tuned a little low, or maybe you just got a little too much slap and not enough "punch". Also, the kick should be a little lower in the mix. The snare sound is good, but you could bring up the highs or cut the lows a little, and bring it up in the mix. The reverb on the vocals doesn't really seem to match with anything else in the mix. In this genre, I would hold off on the reverb, or use very little.

The bass sound needs a little definition, a little crispness. In general, there seems to a lot of content in the low mids, and no real definition. Try a little more radical eq on things, so you don't have, for example, the guitar and vocals taking up the same frequency area.

The reason for the rush job was that I needed to get a 2 song demo out to promote our stuff for clubs and such. I mean it doesn't sound horrible but I can't say I praise myself for it. Also this is te first time I ve actually tried recording.

But thank you very much fo te critisism it will come in very usefull for my upcoming project and anyone else who can add to what you have brought to the plate would be very helpfull thanx.:D

Dioxide

I don't agree that the kick is too floppy.
It's suits this type of music. It could be a bit tighter but nothing major.
The drum sounds are very good imo.
I agree that the bass needs some crispiness.
The guitar is a bit tinny.
You ned to double the main guitar (the riffs) and pan one left other right.
And the FX guitars should be recorded on another track and it should sound a bit different from the main guitar so it would stand out.
And that could stay in the center or panned a bit to one side a bit quieter than the main guit.
So when the main riffs guit come in so does the power.
\m/_

Damn I could make you guys rock :).
Stupid distances.

Keijo

Back