What's the difference between Rave and Hardcore? Anyone know?

clubzero

I want to expand my knowledge..I know that
Hardcore usually is fast, moves around 160-190 bpm with banging kicks + repetitive and hard melodies.

I also know that Rave can be fast with some similarities.. but what I really want to know how they are separated "officially"... and possibly how they have originated..

A reply would be cool. Anyone?

Okay,

It's not my kind of thing, but here it is.
Rave is a loud, fast and hard kind of house-music, but you can still hear some melody in it. Hardcore is just stumpin loud drums with some occasional melodic loops in it. It's a little hard to hear what's what sometimes...

BTW Did you know that the hardest of hardcore, Gabber-house was originated in The Netherlands?
But than again, in my point of view this is beyond music. I'm really not into this stuff so maybe someone who does like it can give you a better explanation, but hey, at least I'm trying!

Party on!
Dirk_Demon

Thanks for the effort. I suspected there aren't too many pros on the subject there. Don't worry, I got plenty of responses at other boards.. :)

Club Zero

TexRoad kill :):):)

About the hardcore thing, I don't like it at all. I like several kinds of drum'n'bass and even techno, but the hardcore stuff, especially that dreadfull gabber is just too messy toi just listen too.

I don't want to put the same label on everyo,ne, but over here the hardcore-gabber scene, of how do you call it, aren't exactely 'nice guys', if you know what I mean.

Yeah... I just wanted to clear things since I'm making a hardcore track for a label..

But thanks. :)

Club Zero

My bad... I noticed there actually is a hip hop forum here... I just haven't noticed it before.. thanks Spinsterwun.

:D

CZ

erhm.. being a rave freak myself, i can tell you this:

Hardcore is a music genre, Rave is a music event.. sometimes hardcore is played at raves, sometimes it's house, techno, trance or even lounge and dub... so..
Hardcore usually sux too.. raves rules.. except if they play hardcore...

Umm.. I still have to go little against the grain here.. anyway I have produced electronic music since 1995 so.. I know a thing or two about electronic music.

There actually is a genre called "Rave". It's different from hardcore, gabber and trance.. and that's the thing I was after. The differences between it and general hardcore.

Also, on synths, there are preset patterns titled "rave" and "hardcore" which are little different kind.. rave is a bit slower.

Sites like mp3.com and sounclick.com also divide them as separate genres...

Here's a reply I got at tranceaddict.com :

"Well the original hardcore was coined in the late 80's.......it was different and ppl said it was hardcore. Well from this hardcore genre evolved drum'n'bass and a bunch of other genres. The rave term was coined by the uk media when they used to hold illegal gatherings in the english country side in the 1990-1992."

"Any warehouse field or club with high tempo repetitve electronic music could be classed as rave."

Club Zero

One more quote.. a little more sarcastic.. :D

"Raves are where you meet girls hardcore is what you do after the rave."

CZ

Chriss said:
erhm.. being a rave freak myself, i can tell you this:

Hardcore is a music genre, Rave is a music event.. sometimes hardcore is played at raves, sometimes it's house, techno, trance or even lounge and dub... so..
Hardcore usually sux too.. raves rules.. except if they play hardcore...

I would not go so far as saying hardcore sucks, there's Biohazard, Pantera, Madball, Cold as Life (before they broke up),
Slayer, Sick of it all, Downset,etc.Not all of it I consider my cup of tea but I've come to enjoy a little hardcore when I'm pissed off...
I've hung out with quite a few members of hardcore bands and there main influences growing up tend to be bands like Black Sabbath and Motorhead, etc.I'm recording a band from Detroit called Without Warning right now and there hardcore.There's quite a bit of difference recording this kind of music versus the straight up rock n roll band but it's all a learning experience.

rave music is only a label assigned to the kind of music you used to play at raves in the mid 90s... that was basically hard trance and psy trance...
some still call hard trance for rave.. of course they do..

Back