Whats the deal with .wav files not playing in WMP?

I use VideoLAN ( aka VLC ) freeware to play every media type, music and video .... including DVD's, but not MIDI

The only thing I wish VLC did was key changing for when I play along on guitar to CD's or backing tracks,
For that, I still use Winamp and a Key / Pitch plug-in called Pacemaker

I use VANBASCO freeware for MIDI playback. It does KAR files dipslaying lyrics in-sync.

When mixing down, uncheck "Write BWF ('bext') chunk". This adds headers to the file which are very useful in professional audio circles... but are not understood by typical consumer players and cause many of them to take a dump.

I'm having no problem with Media Player. Sometimes I do something dumb that changes the preferences on my interface and then I have to go through and make sure stuff is toggled on. The only other problem I've had with Media Player is that for a while I would keep the (screen) volume off and then forget I'd done it. Had a hell of a time getting any sound out of it. Then, of course, I tried turning it up.:rolleyes:

I've had the same problem in the past. It's been a while since I actually used WMP though. Usually I keep everything at 24 all the way through and just use WMP for playing MP3s. If I need to convert to MP3 I usually use Audacity. I never really looked in to the problem, though, it didn't bother me much.

I've been asked this question tons of times. Chili is right, 9/10 times it's simply a matter of making sure you are exporting at 16/44.1

Hello All. Recent convert to Reaper. Had the same issue today; could not for the life of me figure out why my "renders" would not play in Sound Forge, Winamp etc. Sho enough 24 bit. Solved that real quick by downsampling to 16 bit. (manuals are good). I suppose I can set Reaper as 16 bit by default, gonna try that next. Anywhoo, I really love using this program. I have been using Sonar 7 and the old Gt Pro 3 for years but now coming to love Reaper. Routing Matrix is the bomb for short term memory issue folks like me.

Hello All. Recent convert to Reaper. Had the same issue today; could not for the life of me figure out why my "renders" would not play in Sound Forge, Winamp etc. Sho enough 24 bit. Solved that real quick by downsampling to 16 bit. (manuals are good). I suppose I can set Reaper as 16 bit by default, gonna try that next. Anywhoo, I really love using this program. I have been using Sonar 7 and the old Gt Pro 3 for years but now coming to love Reaper. Routing Matrix is the bomb for short term memory issue folks like me.

It is also best to record, track and mix at the least in 24bit, then you can render to 16bit wav or mp3 to play elsewhere.

Back