What's the deal with PA amplifiers right now?

Pony!

Most of the major companies seem to be coming out with lightweight amps in the coming months. I was wondering if anyone knew what the major change in design is. Are there any risks with these new amps?

New technology is just getting better and better.
Plus a lot of people have gone towards active speakers so amp companies have to do something to stay a float.

:cool:

Last edited:
I just bought the Behringer PMP1280S.
Light as a feather, powerful and absolutely loaded with features that you would expect to find on a studio mixer.
I'd have to agree with Moresound on this one.

Switching power supplies, probably, or just straight-up class D amps. Vastly more efficient, so power transformers and heatsinks can be much smaller.

Switching power supplies, probably, or just straight-up class D amps. Vastly more efficient, so power transformers and heatsinks can be much smaller.
^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

It's mostly those switching power supplies that don't require the large trannies.

However, as ms said, class D amps are starting to pop up in full range use now. They used to be used mainly in subs 'cause their high end response wasn't so great. But they've gotten them to where they sound good for things other than subs and I think were gonna see a wave of even lighter amps in the next couple of years.

It's a huge step up from my MP8 and 100Watt speakers.
I donated them to a local charity group who hire me often and the digital FX unit was given to someone here on the "Pass it on" thread.
Not close to what you would need (the new gear) but for my act.... way over the top.
I would never have bought this gear without you and some others, prodding me along.

Back