What's the Blue / Green?

thehouseofshawn

This might seem elementary, but why do CDR's and CDRW's have to have the colored side be the side that is written to? Is there a way to have your CD duplicated so that it looks like normal CD's with the silver aluminum or whatever yuo want to call it "coating" so that they don't have the color? What is the significance of the color?
Seems like that would be a major step-up if I was a nobrainer listening to someone's record or demo

You can get silver CD-Rs.

I think the bottom color is somehow related to the factory/company/process involved in producing the CD. Have read about it before, but didn't look closely enough to remember any of the details. Sorry...

Commercial CDs are not made by the same process that you use in a CD burner. They use a specialized master CD-ROM out of glass. This is then used to 'stamp-out' the rest very quickly and cheaply. Glass-Mastered CD-ROMs are silver on top and underneath, and the top surface is silk-screen printed to look very professional. Virtually any commercial CD-ROM software or music is produced using this process.

You can have CDs made this way but it's more expensive for small quantities...

AlChuck said:
Commercial CDs are not made by the same process that you use in a CD burner. They use a specialized master CD-ROM out of glass. This is then used to 'stamp-out' the rest very quickly and cheaply. Glass-Mastered CD-ROMs are silver on top and underneath, and the top surface is silk-screen printed to look very professional. Virtually any commercial CD-ROM software or music is produced using this process.

You can have CDs made this way but it's more expensive for small quantities...
So, technically, they haven't really came a long way since phonographic records... lol

So, technically, they haven't really came a long way since phonographic records... lol

???

The technology is totally different... the similarity you're pointing out is superficial, almost as much as saying "they still use flat disks, wow, they really havent come very far lol" would be, or "they still use things made of matter, they haven't really come al that far lol."

The real CDs are stamped like was said before. The CD-Rs have a dye on the write side that changes color when the laser hits it during the recording process. The light and dark areas serve the same purpose as the pits in a commecial CD.

Side Bar:

Any one know why, when I burn a cd, it plays fine in my car (96 Honda), in my stereo (95 AIWA), in my cd player (97 Lenox )(all of which were purchased at totally different time periods of my life), but when I play that same burned CD in my 2002 Toyota, the cd always "sketches, scratches out, n stops playing in the middle of say like the 2nd or third song into the cd . . . .?

Last edited:
gullyjewelz said:
Side Bar:

Any one know why, when I burn a cd, it plays fine in my car (96 Honda), in my stereo (95 AIWA), in my cd player (97 Lenox )(all of which were purchased at totally different time periods of my life), but when I play that same burned CD in my 2002 Toyota, the cd always "sketches, scratches out, n stops playing in the middle of say like the 2nd or third song into the cd . . . .?

Because you are a bad person :mad: .

:D

I have the same problem with my boombox. All my home-burned CDs will play anywhere but in that thing, unless I give it a hard smack with my hand. I think it is some kind of alignment issue.

Back