Whats The Best....

SCI

whats the best piece of equipment i could buy to make a hip hop beat and is easy to use... and hook up to computer i heard a korg triton is good but i dont have a clue what you can do on this... anybody got any ideas?

all information is needed please help.

Well, once you learn the equipment, then it will be easy but here's a list:

Korg Triton
Akai MPC 2000, 3000 or 4000 (even the 60)
Ensoniq ASR-X, EPS 16+, ASR-10
Yamaha Motif

These are all sampling workstations w/ sequencers which is what you'll need. I would say go with any of the MPCs which you can find on eBay for a pretty good price.

Peace,
B

yo man thanx for the advice.

if i get an MPC tho i will need a keyboard this hooks up to it right? and what type of keyboard do i need to make good sounding beats.

No you do not need a keyboard. The MPC is a sampling drum machine and you use the pads to bang out the sounds like you would on a....drum machine.

Peace,
B

but what about the melodys for the beat where do i make these?

can u give me advice on the equipment i would need to have a complete set up to make proper beats..

thanx.....

SCI......

You can use a cheap midi keyboard and hook it up to the MPC if you'd like for playing melodies or piano pieces. If you looking for more of a keyboard workstation than drum machine style, check out the Triton, ASR-10, EPS-16+ or the Motif.

Do you have a computer w/ soundcard?
How much money do you have to spend?

Peace,
B

I have very simular questions as SCI so i'll post some questions here too. The MPCs are capable of playing both keyboard and drums right?

I have a comp right now a P4 1.7ghz with a crappy ass sound card. Which sound card would you advise me on? Money is a slight issue but i dont mind paying more for a better bang. Thanks

The MPC is a sampler/drum machine. Not a keyboard. You could hook up a midi keyboard and play the samples off that vs banging them out on the pads. As far as sound cards go, I'm not a guru on them by any means but I know that the stock one that came with your comp sucks. They have really good cards for about 150 and up (Audiophile 2496). I think there is a forum here for soundcards that you might find more helpful than me though.

Peace,
B

Are there any real differences to running units like this compared to software sequences like fruity loops? What sort of things are you able to do with say a Yamaha Motif that you can't do in software? Excuse my ignorants.

I think it comes down to personal preference. There are many software samplers out there that people praise over hardware. I used Fruity Loops for about 2 years and just couldn't stand sitting in front of a monitor clicking away on the mouse. A yamaha Motif though will blow away Fruity Loops by a mile by what its capable of and...(just look at the price gap between them). Never used a Motif though......but I garauntee you would not be disappointed with that over Fruity loops. I have just always been a hardware person since I like to beable to get my groove on while bangin' the beats out. What do you use now?

Peace, B

Back