What's the best way to get my digital audio into my computer?

gumboots

I'm done recording my songs into a 4 track Yamaha MD4s minidisk mixer/recorder. I've mixed them, and they sound great. Now I need to transfer them somehow into my computer in order to put them onto a CD. I'm wondering what people consider the BEST way to accomplish this. I want the music to transfer with as little quality or signal reduction as possible.
In the past, I've been going from the headphone jack of the MD to the line-in on an SB Live soundcard, and recording the music as MP3s (at 160 kbs, the highest quality available) using MusicMatch Jukebox software. This hasn't really been a problem, but I'm really looking for peak quality for this project, and I was wondering if there was a better way. I seem to be getting a bit of warbling distortion on the vocals on the mp3s now, and I can't explain why. Aslo, even though the final mix sounds good on the mp3, the sound as a whole seems to get 'thicker' for lack of a better term. It doesn't seem to come out 100% the way it sounds when I listen to it directly from the recorder.
I'm going from a digital source, to a digital input...in a perfect world, I couldn't imagine any difference or degredation in quality, but alas, it seems there must be a better way. I'm wondering what the standard procedure is for transfering from your source, to the computer for CD production. Do I need better software, do I need to make a different connection? What am I missing, and/or do I need to spend MORE money on some technology that I don't yet have? Any info is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Get a digital input that matches the output on your MD or use a decent card that handles the analog output without making a mess of the signal.

I dont think the MD4 has digital outs, so the next step up would be a soundcard with better converters.....probably a Delta Audiophile or Delta 44 or Echo Mia.....those cards range from $150 to $220.....

..and dont underestimate the use of good cables...and good mp3 encoders.....

gumboots

In order for you to remain in the digital realm, you will need digital connections.

I am not sure if the minidisc has a digital OUT, and I know the SB doesn't have a digital IN.

Once you send the music out of the headphone jack you convert your digital signal back into an analogue signal.

peace.

spin

Maybe you can find a mini disc player that DOES have digital outs, get a Midiman Delta Dio 2448 card for 89.00 from Mars that has digital input/output, hook them up, and you are in business

Back