What's the best notes to use in a song?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
People use a lot of different notes in songs. What are the best notes to use to ensure it's a good song?

Is this a parody?

Use the ones everyone else uses in good songs. Then you will sound exactly like they do. Easy as PI. :)

People use a lot of different notes in songs. What are the best notes to use to ensure it's a good song?

White notes. White is the sign of good. Black notes are the sign of bad. Avoid black notes at all costs, unless you want to consort with the deveil.

I took out a note with the bank, to buy a bunch of expensive gear - so all the songs I recorded would be good songs ....... so I guess that was a good note!!!

But then I couldn't pay the loan and the bank sent me a note, telling me they planned to repossess my house, which I used for collateral ...... I guess that was a bad note.

Is this a parody?
:)

Use the ones everyone else uses in good songs. Then you will sound exactly like they do. Easy as PI. :)
I like to use middle C, myself. I use it as much as I can. In fact, I've written some songs that only use C. I also prefer whole notes. Why use only a part of a note, when you can get maximum value.

Ok...I'm new here, so I'm still learning the degree of sarcasm that some members employ....and it runs pretty thick apparently.

I am admittedly baffled as to the vagueness of the question by the OP who is a 7K plus posted member of long standing. Maybe it was a thought that randomly escaped whilst pondering the existence of the universe, or maybe it's an inside joke?

anyhow. I'm going to answer my honest opinion regardless.

I gravitate to Am usually, and sometimes C. I find My Am songs are the down and dirty emotional songs, and my C stuff is the more upbeat fun songs. I also find that I can most comfortably sing in this range of scales, so it's natural to linger in this region.

if it is a sad song use minor scale, happy use major.... oh, as mentioned always include a C

Last edited:
Ok...I'm new here, so I'm still learning the degree of sarcasm that some members employ....and it runs pretty thick apparently.

I am admittedly baffled as to the vagueness of the question by the OP .

There is a certain member here whose sole purpose in life is to ask vague general rudimentary questions that anyone can answer regardless of talent, experience, or place in life and then he nitpicks their answers to death. These threads are a parody of that.

I am admittedly baffled as to the vagueness of the question by the OP who is a 7K plus posted member of long standing. Maybe it was a thought that randomly escaped whilst pondering the existence of the universe, or maybe it's an inside joke?

anyhow. I'm going to answer my honest opinion regardless.

I gravitate to Am usually, and sometimes C. I find My Am songs are the down and dirty emotional songs, and my C stuff is the more upbeat fun songs. I also find that I can most comfortably sing in this range of scales, so it's natural to linger in this region.

Dude - A minor isn't a note, OK? Do try to stay on topic... :laughings:

Now if you'd said "the notes in the Am scale" then that would be OK...

Sarcasm is like patriotism the "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence," according to Wilde for the former and "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" according to Samuel Johnson.
I extrapolate that to give me a sarcastic note and a patriotic note depending on the circumstances, intelligence, my audience and intentions.
However, in truth, the Grace Note is my fav. as many of my melodies and bass runs are constructed entirely of these.
My argument has fallen a bit flat so I'll end on that note.

Last edited:
images

None of these, Jack.

Back