What's the best musical notation software?

What do you need notations for? Does Kenny need a remix of Ode to Joy?

I haven't used any notation programs in awhile but they were never all that automatic. You still need to know exactly how the music is supposed to be notated. The midi gives you a headstart but there is still a lot of manual work for setting key signatures and editing the note durations so they are notated properly.

Doesn't sonar have basic notation functions? I remember Cakewalk had something for that.

LMAO! Actually you were very close. It was lean on me...

Yeah, sx has it but I didn't think to remember that at the time.

BTW news for tommorrow looks good.;)

Yah, I use Cakewalk for this

Tex is right about manual key signature setting, editing note durations and the like....I'm sure there is better software out there for this other then Cakewalk. But, once you get used to it it's not so bad. But then again, I suppose you could get used to anything...we are all pavlovian dogs too some extent :( :mad: :D

The notation in Cake works better (usually) for me if I save the song with a different name (SongNote instead of Song, for example) then hard quantize the copy to whatever rate works (experiment) - that way, the notation really sees what you INTENDED to play instead of what you did. (Just don't use this copy for listening unless you're into Devo, etc.) For notation, this method saves a lot of cleanup... Steve

From what I've heard, Sibelius is one of the best. Kinda pricy though... (>700$!! :eek: )

Then there's the old programs, Finale and Encore... Finale is kinda difficult to use. Encore is pretty easy, but not all that handy with layouts. (My conductor made a quick score with this... The -euhm, lines in between measures (forgot the word)- where placed over the chords... Making it quite unreadable. You can drag and replace it, but doing that is quite an effort if you're making a complete arrangement. :rolleyes:

I've got the demo of sibelius at home, but haven't tried it yet... I also need to get a midi interface for it too, probably one of those usb thingies by maudio. They look pretty nice. Easy to take with you...

The fastest way to enter a score is, again from what I heard, using the numeric part of your keyboard for note values and rests, and your keyboard for pitch.
Or just playing it with a metronome at a slow tempo, and quantizing afterwards. I read in the features of sibelius that it adjusts to your tempo if you play it in without a metronome... That's nice...

Back