What's the best mic setup for on-location interviews?

tuco

Before I run out and buy the wrong equipment, maybe you can point me in the right direction . . .

I'm planning to record a series of interviews. Usually, just me and one other person in an office, hotel room, or residence. Often, there won't be much control over the environment. Some interviews might even be at cafes, at the beach, etc. All destined to be webcasts and later, collected into a CD.

So I'm thinking I can go with either lavalier mics (which are typically omni condensors) or hand-held dynamic mics, like the EV RE50, which I've used before. I've never used lavs, but they seem easy to deal with--small and lightweight. And the interviewee wouldn't need any mic technique--they can just relax and talk instead of holding a mic.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about a too much background noise coming into the lav mics. And more particularly, delay or echo effects--some of the interviewees sound leaking into my lav, and some of my sound leaking into his are hers.

I'll be recording in 2-track, either to a laptop or dedicated recorder. That's one channel for me, one for the person being interviewed. I want to minimize editing.

What mic setup would you suggest from your experience?

Thanks!

The Shure SM61 is legendary for that. I had three at one time, I've still got one, they're absolutely fantastic for that. I think on the bay they can be had for about $80. Absolutely worth every penny.

tuco said:
What mic setup would you suggest from your experience?

Thanks!

I've been interviewed for TV lots of times. They always use the wireless lav mike on me. Radio and newspaper folk tend to use the RE50 or 635a or something like that. I'd choose the latter, I think, for simplicity and reliability.

Cheers,

Otto

if you do this alot, and are willing to invest a lil bit, an SM7 would be an excellent candidate. one would do fine, they use that, and you can use anything. worst comes to worst, you can re track your own parts later with the SM7 too.

hell, if you wanna buy one, use it 4 times, then i'll buy it off of ya. ;)

TragikRemix said:
if you do this alot, and are willing to invest a lil bit, an SM7 would be an excellent candidate. one would do fine, they use that, and you can use anything. worst comes to worst, you can re track your own parts later with the SM7 too.

hell, if you wanna buy one, use it 4 times, then i'll buy it off of ya. ;)

On location? Those things aren't exactly handheld if you know what I mean.

I've got some experience in on location recording. Most people seem to fixate on all mics that aren't lapel mics. Whether you go handheld or desk stand or whatever you're going to have people who aren't going to give you great material at times because they are thinking too much about the mic. With a lapel mic, you get away from the BS as far as your interview subject's behavior and get them more focused on content. There are trade offs in sound but the gain in content is well worth it.

Otherwise, get a couple of EV 635a stick mics and be done with it.

Back