whats the best efx processor

Not that it's actually an effects processor, but depending on what purposes you had in mind, a POD might do well.

Jon X said:
Not that it's actually an effects processor, but depending on what purposes you had in mind, a POD might do well.
HUH???

If the MPX-1 isn't an effects processor, what do you think it is?????????????? :confused:

The MPX-1 IS most definitely an effects processor..... providing reverb, delays, choruses, pitch shifting, rotaries, inverse gates.... what it IS NOT is a GUITAR effects processor..........

Bruce

There is no best processor but I would look at the Lexicon MPX-500 and the T.C. Electronics M-One. They both have quite a lot of usable effects and good user interfaces.

I have the Lexicon MPX-500 and it's easy to set-up and the reverbs and rotor-speaker effects are great. Some of the chorusing effects are very effective on keyboards too.

If you want a dedicated reverb the Roland SRV-330 is being sold for under $400. It has really good plate reverb sounds, very dense and realistic. I don't own one but I use my friends all the time and I love it. It has some good presets for vocals.

The SRV 330 is a nice verb for drums IMO. I would not recommend the M One at all, in my experience it just sounds really flat and lifeless. I've not heard the MPX 500 so I cant say how it compares to an MPX 1, but my money would go to the MPX 1.

Bruce... Did you not read my whole sentence? :D

I was talking about the POD not being really an effects procesor.

MMM, nice....

Ha! Theres a guy there that want $35 for the tape to a space echo! Hehehe. For that money youcan buy a splicer, splicing tape and a reel of tape and make several hundred space echo tapes yourself! :)

I almost hope some poor looser will buy it...

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon X said:
Bruce... Did you not read my whole sentence? :D

I was talking about the POD not being really an effects procesor.

:eek: Man, am I an idiot sometimes.... sorry Jon, long weekend.......
(which I described in detail in another post!)

Bruce

I have used the Roland SRV330 is nice. I'm going to get my hands on the Roland 3030 later this year. I also hear a lot of awesome things about the TC electronics M-one and the D-two....even though I haven't checked em out yet, I will soon. I'd probably choose the Roland 3030 over the lexicon......although both units are awesome.

I'd like to hear from somebody on this board that has the M-one or the d-two.....

cyanjaguar-

I know I'm copping out but I like them both. I rarely track vocals because I play guitar and synths in a four-piece instrumental band. However, I have used the SRV-330 for vocals in another studio and I think it sounds so dense and realistic. I love plate reverbs and this one has very good ones. The Lexicon is easier to edit on and has great reverbs too but I never use it for vocals, so I can't give you a definitive answer to which is better.

I love the MPX-500 and I use it for so much more than just the reverbs. The rotor-speaker and chorusing are a big step up for me because I'm using many older synthesizers with really dated effects. Like the Korg 0/1W. Great keyboard but really bland, lifeless effects.

If I wasn't on a spending freeze I'd be tempted to buy the Roland. I saw the SRV-330 at Guitar Center and they were selling them for $300 US. It was tempting not to just put it on the credit card. I really don't need another reverb.

I use a small amount of reverb. I love 70's recordings that were almost dry or used ambient spaces instead of processors. I often argue with my recording partners during mixing. My mixes lean towards the dry side.

Mabye this would be better as a new thread, but, ...:).....how do $500 and under fx boxes compare to software fx? If you record to a DAW, the advantages of software fx are obvious, ....you can use multiple instances of the same plug in , all with different settings, but I'm thinking that for that really fat , spacious deep reverb your better off going thru a hardware box, at least for now.

hey thanks wide awake,

I read a review that said that the srv 330 can only be beaten by the mpx-1 in reverbs.

Well, off to ebay to see if I can't find one. Although , I would buy it at guitar center if I saw it for $300.

peace

The SRV3030 is amazing. I have 3 of them, they're sooooo good. XLR IN, XLR OUT, digital i/o on optional model. Excelent reverb, great on drums as said early. The vocal presets are excellent, allthough you may need to edit a little bit to get the perfect vocal patch. You can edit the patches to an excellent degree, very complex. Ok, some patches aren't too good, but there are also some patches which sound as good as my lexicon 460L. it's an awesome unit, GET IT! the mpx1 is also good:-)you cant really go wrong with any lexicon stuff.

Back