What's the best directX plugin?

MusicManiac

Hi all,

What are some directX plugins that you use and
which ones are your favorite? I guess what I'm looking
for is a few great directx plugins versus a bunch of junk.

The Waves packs are great, and so are the Steinberg plugs. I use these all the time... (and I have a shitload of plug-ins)

Ahh FX.

DON'T BUY them! Well not yet; there are heaps of GREAT freeware plugs especially for DirectX format.

Blue Line FX, great sound, great useability......FREE!
Includes EQs, Gates, Limiter, Compressor, reverb ect ect.

FreeVerb, even if you've bought a reverb, get this http://home.onet.co.uk/~jzracc/plugins/index.htm Very Nice.

Waves, very good sounds esp the compressor but CPU HOG, ditto Trueverb.

There are lots out there, IMHO try the FREE ones first and workout just what you need, who knows you might not need to spend big to get that sound. Look around here; http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=cubase&list

Here's a bunch that I use, YMMV:

Waves: RCL (compressor), L1 (maximizer), and the EQ's are all very, very good. TrueVerb is probably their weakest link... it's okay but a tad complicated to use.

Sonic Timeworks: Mastering compressor (similar to Waves L1), Mastering EQ, and CompressorX are very good. The metering on CompressorX is practically useless, though. I tried their reverb, and it's okay and easy to use.

Freeverb is okay, and very easy to use. It's a little limited, but free.

Sonic Foundary: Noise reduction and clipped peak restoration are essential if you have to salvage stuff. Using 'em is almost an artform in itself, though.

Steinberg: The "Puncher" kicks mucho ass (especially for drums). This is a VST plug-in, not DirectX, but you can get an "adapter" program to run VST under DirectX. The only downside I've found is that it's waaaaaaay to easy to over-do it and not realize it until later.

Cakewalk: The EQ and reverb are not killer, but they're functional. The delay is pretty good, but any delay should be pretty good (it's harder to screw up delay).

I've heard tons of raves on the Arboretum reverb, but I haven't tried it. I will, though, since none of the other 'verbs I've used are particularly stunning.

please, please, please,

dont do sonic foundry plugins. I like their programs. acid, vegas, soundforge,

but their plugins are crap, every last one.

For example, noise reduction. What good is a noise reduction plugin that basically just reduces overall level. I tried it and that is what happened.

Avoid sonic foundry

The Waves RCL is so fantastic. It's hard to believe the amount of fat and sparkle that comes out of that thing. If i could I'd put on almost every single track. hit the limiter hard and it almost sounds "warm" The wave eq's are very good, believe what you hear about them.
I agree CJ sonic foundry's plugins are pretty worthless. the EQ's are horrible. I do like some Steinberg stuff, the EQ in Cubase is pretty cool, I just wish the "knobs" weren't so twitchy and hard to adjust (well that's VST not direct x but....). For reverb's, I haven't found my favorite. I like the TC electronic verbs, but only if I eq them after the verb, roll of the frequncies I don't want to hear.

-jhe

my most favorite plugin I've ever used is FREEVERB(thanks again dachay)

I had been using some worthless reverb from some company that I am tired of slamming, but freeverb sounded so nice compared to their stuff that it was unbelievable.

now if I can get my hands on DP or Logic audio

Back