What's the best Brass Shell Snare?

I love my Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature.... Some folks say this is as close to a Black Beauty clone you'll find.
They're discontinued so the prices are climbing, but they still come in under what a BB will cost you.

:)

I love my Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature.... Some folks say this is as close to a Black Beauty clone you'll find.
They're discontinued so the prices are climbing, but they still come in under what a BB will cost you.

:)

Hopefully I can find a sound clip of that!

I heard one of those, and I love the sound. Would a 14 x 6.5 be that far off of the 5.5 sound? It's the hand hammered version, right?

Yeah. A 6.5 would naturally sound a little deeper and maybe beefier at the expense of some ear splitting crack.

Right now I'm using an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot/Remo Ambassador Hazy head combo with Puresound 20-strand snares, and it's pretty much my go-to snare. It responds well to different tunings. I'm not a snare snob, and haven't tried millions of different snares, but I like this one.

http://allthingsloud.blogspot.com/ About halfway down the page he has a video of a studio session where he says the guy is using a 5 piece DW with a Ferrone snare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Hm6HZCU8w A guy does a shootout between the Ferrone and a Yamaha Bordin snare... Of course, the audio is from his camcorder mic so it's really not a good representation

:eek:

Good finds thanks!

The first recording sounds like the just mic'd the top head without doing a bottom head mic (booooo)

The 2nd video is better since you can hear both. Man, both those snare sound pretty decent. I'm a Faith No More fan, so the Bordin one is pretty cool lol.

Well I just bought a Ludwig Black Beauty.......holy bada$$ beautiful tones!!!! All I can hear when it's hit (can't stop hitting it) is Audioslave/Rage drummer sound. :p

Hard to beat a nice Black Beauty for me personally.

A buddy of mine recorded with one of those Tama Warlord snares and loved it, I heard the demos and he played the crap out of it, not sure which one it is but it sounded great on tape.

Back