What's next - Acoustic Treatment

Olijanovi

Alright, so I have built my own broadband absorber and put them on the walls of the different rooms. What is next? Every room have wood floors, really high ceilings.

Alright, so I have built my own broadband absorber and put them on the walls of the different rooms. What is next? Every room have wood floors, really high ceilings.

High ceilings and wooden floors are a good thing.

What do you mean by "different rooms"? How many rooms are you recording in?

You said you put them on the walls, but did you put any in the corners? If not, that's next.

EDIT: Forget what I said about the corners, I just realized you're talking about broad band absorbers, not bass traps. If you don't have bass traps in the corners, then that's next. :)

Well I have about 4 different rooms to put them in. Ok corners. Am I building the same thing as panels (broadband absorber) but putting them in corners? (triangle shape) Should they take the whole corners? Or just a part of it?

4 rooms to treat? Do you mind if I ask you explain more what those 4 rooms are you used for?

As far as how you build your corner traps, not sure if you should build them the same way you built your broadbands since I don't know how you built them. How thick are they? What material did you use? usually bass traps are thicker than broadbands. You can do the triangle thing, too, if you mean what people call superchunks. Floor to ceiling, if possible, is best.

Ok thanks!

1 big room for live purpose
3 others for acoustic instruments, vocals etc...

OK, I was just curious. No mixing room? :eek:

Hehe...I didn't really answer your other question because I was hoping you'd answer mine about the thickness and material used to make your panels.

I used a 2 inches thick materials. I'll try to investigate for bass traps. My ceilings are so high... it will take a lot of wood and roxul in order to do them floor to ceilings...

I used a 2 inches thick materials. I'll try to investigate for bass traps. My ceilings are so high... it will take a lot of wood and roxul in order to do them floor to ceilings...

You should double up and go for 4" thick panels if its possible. A few 6" panels for small rooms wouldn't hurt either. How large are the rooms? Are you also treating a control room or only the recording rooms?
You don't necessarily need to go floor-to-ceiling, it's just usually suggested as most rooms are 8' tall. If you get at least 8' up you'd be good IMO.

Just to be sure I understand, you are saying that I should build 4 inches thick broadband absorber? And that I should have 8 foot high bass traps ? What is the thickness for bass traps?

Ok I've checked on them, they are 3 inches thick panels. I guess it works well then.

In terms of bass traps, I'll build 4 X 8 feet tall bass traps for all four corners with 6 inches or 'superchunks' in it. My question is, should all recording room + live room have bass traps too? Or solely the mixing room?

should all recording room + live room have bass traps too? Or solely the mixing room?

99% that the mixing room will need it, but you know that already. I think it depends on the room when we're talking about treating a tracking room. I'm sure it can never hurt to bass trap any room, but you also might have a room that sounds great for drums (for example) un-treated. You question shows that you have the right idea, though. Definitely mixing room, possibly tracking rooms.

99% that the mixing room will need it, but you know that already. I think it depends on the room when we're talking about treating a tracking room. I'm sure it can never hurt to bass trap any room, but you also might have a room that sounds great for drums (for example) un-treated. You question shows that you have the right idea, though. Definitely mixing room, possibly tracking rooms.

+1. Sometimes, some rooms just have a great sound for recording as is. Of course, if you're constantly finding your guitar tracks to be muddy, or your snare to be overtaken by the room's ambiance, than it likely needs to be treated some.

For a live room I think sparing absorption should be used. I usually recommend doing absorbers with slats in front to get a diffusion & absorption balance in the room. Likewise, diffusors are also nice to smooth out the reflections without deadening the room.
For a more detailed discussion of how treatments affect the sound, check out the article I wrote on decay times here: Articles - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics (last article, bottom of the page)

Thanks for the article, very handy!

I am ready to build the bass traps, we all agreed that I needed 8 foot long bass traps (I have 12 feet high ceilings) Should I put the bass trap at the ceiling and leave an opening at the bottom, should I put it dead centered and leave the top and bottom open, or should I make 2 X 4 feet tall bass traps and put one at the bottom and one at the top?

Thanks for the article, very handy!

I am ready to build the bass traps, we all agreed that I needed 8 foot long bass traps (I have 12 feet high ceilings) Should I put the bass trap at the ceiling and leave an opening at the bottom, should I put it dead centered and leave the top and bottom open, or should I make 2 X 4 feet tall bass traps and put one at the bottom and one at the top?

I'd do the only option you didn't mention. Place them from the floor to 8' up.
:)

Back