What's goin' on with everybody

I see these bands playing the club circuit now and they don't have ANY amps on stage! Biggest piece of kit is the drum set. In-ear monitors and everything goes through FOH. And it sounds good! My how times have changed.

I went to the dump yesterday and there was a dumpster full of peavey pa speakers. There must have been twenty or more! Different size horns, subwoofers,etc. Someone had to clear a storage locker it turned out. I am emptying the trash out of the back of my truck thinking do I really want any of this stuff? Then when a pickup pulls up next to it and two guys jump out and start hauling them out. It had rained pretty good the previous night and all morning and as they are pulling them out water is pouring out of them. I went over to help them, we got them all out into the back of the pickup. They had to leave a bunch there and come back for a second trip. Underneath everything was the bottom section of a Leslie speaker with the motor and speaker intact. I pulled it out and the guys, you know what this is, no, okay, i am going to take it. I grabbed a nice piano bench and a nice antique rocker. I had planned on buying one anyway. I also grabbed about 300? blank RWCDs. I doubt any of those speaker with all the water in them are any good anymore?

Good snag on the Leslie!
I don't think it got wet? It has the connector on it, I will try and see what the pinout voltages are. Anything that is not 120, I have a good variable DC power supply up to fifty v and a veriax for AC voltage. See if she fires up. I have to see if I can tell which model it is, I haven't really looked at it yet. It is still in the back of the truck in the carport. No amp, just the rotating speaker section with the motor and rotating speaker mounted to the bottom and partial side of the original cabinet. At a quick glance I didn't see any mechanical connection from the motor to the speaker, maybe a belt missing I am guessing? The motor alone should be worth something? It looks like the same ones they put in vibraphones and the old 16,33,45,78 turntables, except a bit bigger. Probably runs on 120V like all the others with a rheostat somewhere in front of it.

I'm hoping to observe the Boeing Starliner launch tomorrow night. I'll be watching from an East-facing balcony about 100 miles away. If the skies are clear, and they have been, probably the most I'll see is a trail of bright light streaming upwards - but that'll be cool.

The last time I caught a launch was a Space Shuttle about 24 years ago from an East-facing front porch, also at night, and also 100 miles distant. Nice white, reddish-orange stream of light.

I've never been over to the Cape for a close-up launch.

On the leslie the belt is on the speaker. I don't believe it is a Leslie. On the bottom is a sticker, Electro Music, Pasadena Ca. and I think the model is a 10LX but so far I can find no reference on line? It is a Leslie and it is a 10LX.dt.JPG

Last edited:
It turns out all those CDs have movies on them. If they play I have a huge movie collection. I have to hook up the DVD player to the TV and see whats what. I have a couple of CD players but I only know one works.

DG, you do have a Leslie... it might be a somewhat old one. Don Leslie started Electro Music to manufacture the speakers in the 1940s. He sold it to CBS in the mid 60s. Years later, Hammond bought the company from CBS.

Here's an article about Leslie.

FWIW, back in the 70s our organ player had a Leslie extension cabinet that hooked to his Cordovox amp. It had a 10" speaker and the baffle rotated around it. I think Fender also marketed a Leslie for guitar that had similar construction. It looks like that's is what you have.

Last edited:
On the leslie the belt is on the speaker. I don't believe it is a Leslie. On the bottom is a sticker, Electro Music, Pasadena Ca. and I think the model is a 10LX but so far I can find no reference on line? It is a Leslie and it is a 10LX.
dt.JPG
I eventually threw out a very similar Leslie arrangement. The rotating foam is just a wave guide, and the speaker faces towards us from underneath the waveguide.
It came out of a big old Lowrey organ, which wasn't worth fixing, and I couldn't even give it away. The 'Leslie' worked, but never had associated treble horns.
A label said it was made under license.

DG, you do have a Leslie... it might be a somewhat old one. Don Leslie started Electro Music to manufacture the speakers in the 1940s. He sold it to CBS in the mid 60s. Years later, Hammond bought the company from CBS.

Here's an article about Leslie.

FWIW, back in the 70s our organ player had a Leslie extension cabinet that hooked to his Cordovox amp. It had a 10" speaker and the baffle rotated around it. I think Fender also marketed a Leslie for guitar that had similar construction. It looks like that's is what you have.

I read that article. When I get some time I will try and fire it up and report back.

Is Cakewalk dead? Are they still in business? I posted this in the cakewalk forum and not a peep lol? "I have an older beefed up gaming tower computer, maybe 2015? Nor sure. Windows 10 I think. Anyway, I found a bunch of CDs and one had Cakewalk 6 and another Cool Edit. I haven't used windows for years, I run a Linux system on everything I use now. I managed to install both and have both running. I have five MIDI keyboards, two Alesis QS8s, two Ensoniqs and a Korg. In 1999 I bought the Alesis, my step son gave me an older Mac and I bought a version of Cakewalk for 99 bucks. Loaded it, hooked up the Alesis, I don't remember how? I think I had some kind of MIDI box or something? I told the MAC and Cakewalk, that it was working with an Alesis QS8 and set the switch on the back of the Alesis to MAC, set the MIDI channels etc and it was quite seamless. Cakewalk had all the preset libraries etc. for the QS8. I tried the same thing after that with a Windows OS and never could get it to work. So, If I want to use this, where do I go from here? There are no MIDI ports on the computer, it has USB and one light pipe for sure. I have a cord around here somewhere with a dual MIDI plug and a USB on the other end, can I use that? I don't really know what that cord is for, it came with a bunch of stuff in a trade. The software may be bootleg? " " I

Why would you think Cakewalk is dead? Bandlab took ownership of the Sonar and Cakewalk programs from Gibson when they were divesting themselves of a bunch of stuff they shouldn't have bought in the first place.

I doubt that it is the same program that you bought 10 years ago. Like everything in the computer world, stuff changes fast. However, I think Bandlab is still operating the licensing servers, so if you have the documentation, you should be able

Why would you think Cakewalk is dead? Bandlab took ownership of the Sonar and Cakewalk programs from Gibson when they were divesting themselves of a bunch of stuff they shouldn't have bought in the first place.

I doubt that it is the same program that you bought 10 years ago. Like everything in the computer world, stuff changes fast. However, I think Bandlab is still operating the licensing servers, so if you have the documentation, you should be able
why? I use a Yamaha 02R and an Alesis HD24. I haven't kept up with any of the DAWs

I know it isn't the same program I had 24 years ago, the layout is totally different.

why? I use a Yamaha 02R and an Alesis HD24. I haven't kept up with any of the DAWs

C'mon DG. You need to step into the 2020's. Prince's 1999 is classic rock now! Disco has already had a revival (it think it's due to return again), and VHS tapes were still holding on over DVDs.

Y2K didn't happen, so you can come out of the bomb shelter!!! :LOL:

BTW, I keep planning to try to upgrade my old AW16G to use SD cards instead of the puny 20GB hard drive. I kind of like the way Yamaha set up their system vs Tascam's 2488. I imagine using the 02R was pretty nice, but it was WAY out of my price range back then. It was a stretch just to get the 16G!

Back