What's goin' on with everybody

Yeah, I planted it around 30 years ago. We put in one dwarf apple and one dwarf cherry for my daughter and son. The apple didn't make it, but the cherry has thrived. I've been picking cherries for at least 15 or 20 years.

I had planted a cherry tree at my previous house. We only got to pick one year before we moved away. Sometimes I've wondered if its still there. Hopefully someone is getting some free fruit.

If I could , i would find all the different select fruit varieties from my childhood neighborhood. Plums are awesome.

Freshness is key!
Yeah I like them and as prunes in syrup with hot custard also. Although as a kid I do remember eating one and discovered a fat maggot on the stone. So with fresh ones I always eat carefully. :-)

Do you make wines from these fruits Beaky? My mom would always buy or pick lots of fruit and turn it into wine.

Gooseberries and blackberries and apples all made wines long ago in our house.

Beers and Barley wine she made one year which blew the kitchen apart.

Not in a long time. Wine we used concord grapes(we had a vine row) or cherries. Experimenting using sugar not yeast.

I still do juicing. Every month a box of different oranges from different groves. Last box was, 'Love' oranges. Before that, Killer pink grapefruit. Didnt need sugar it was that sweet. Orange of the month club.

best old memories. in the neighborhood as teens we were allowed to make cider from the apples. The fermentation was propagated by sugar not yeast. Apple cider that gave you a buzz and tasted like candy.. We strained it till you could see through it...A wood box . A 4"x4" for a smasher. A jar . Cheese cloth. Apples . Sugar.

FREEZE THE APPLES SOLID, THEN THEY THAW TO MUSH! thats the secret to the liquification process. crushing raw apples is not the same.

Last edited:
The old hard course cider is called Scrumpy in the UK. It is a homebrew made by local farmers. All sorts goes into it and it is like soup. Most apples are off the floor so starting to brown and full of bacteria. It is also nicknamed 'Rot Gut'. Very strong. But I never like cider of any kind, so not my thing.

Every year we used to make pickled onions for xmas. Buy a 50kg sack and make jars of them. They are very addictive when eaten as well. Nothing like shop pickled onions.

The old hard course cider is called Scrumpy in the UK. It is a homebrew made by local farmers. All sorts goes into it and it is like soup. Most apples are off the floor so starting to brown and full of bacteria. It is also nicknamed 'Rot Gut'. Very strong.
What we made tasted like apple juice. I think one family had it tested almost 3% by vol. Figure mine was the same. You could get a buzz , but if you drink too fast it does upset your tummy. Pounding apple juice will do that.

Looks good, but I would replace the CFL bulb with an LED. CFLs don't do so well in cold weather. I got LEDs bulbs with an built in light sensors. They come on at dark and turn off in the morning.
I didnt have any extra bulbs at the new place, and the fixture didnt come with one. I grabbed one from the basement.

Home Depot didnt have it in stock, so i ordered the solar top lid one. When its in, ill exchange.
Screenshot 2022-06-29 095553.jpg

Last edited:
Its a gamble , going in Home Depot. You never know what you will walk out with..They had these motorized blinds, where all the blind raise and lower on a remote control. The first layer is a colorized shade. To tint the room. The second is a black out.. Now I want motorized shades that raise and lower from my cel phone and can be programmed.

Its a gamble , going in Home Depot. You never know what you will walk out with..They had these motorized blinds, where all the blind raise and lower on a remote control. The first layer is a colorized shade. To tint the room. The second is a black out.. Now I want motorized shades that raise and lower from my cel phone and can be programmed.
They make 'em.

So, I'm upstairs pulling clothes out of the closet to take down to the local thrift store, when I pull out a little box that came from my parent's house. It was full of stuff that I had saved from back when I was in high school. Pictures from my prom, ticket stubs from some concerts, a receipt from buying my Guild S100 back in 73, and other assorted knick-knacks.

Folded up was a contract for one of our band jobs. Before we had the band Talisman, I was in Objection Overruled. 8 piece with a trumpet/sax/trombone brass section (just like Chicago!!!), bass, organ, guitar and drums plus a lead singer. We made big money back then... $10 each for a 4 hour gig!

Objection Overruled Gig 1969.jpg

How many years until it produced fruit?
If the trees have a developed root system when transplanting, like 2 years. 2-3 years and you get fruit. Start now!

Bing cherry trees need two to make cherries.

Plums, like Damsons, can take 5 years to fruit even with a developed root system.

Back