whats everyone using for talkback??

mattimus

i have asked before.. but im really looking now.

soi far the only two units that are in my opinion comparable for my needs are the presonus central station ($649 at my local music store... plus the remote is almost nesseccary.. and about $150) and the mackie big knob ($349)

my plan right now is to run the 2nd headphone outs on my m-audio project mix i/o into a behringer 4 channel mixer.. throw a mic onto another one of the inputs, and run a headphone extender from the headphone output of my behringer mixer out to the live room.. it seems like itd work...

so i dunno... why spend $350 on a big knob when i can buy a mic and use the simple way?

what is everyoine else using? is there a cheaper alternative to the big knob or central station... i know sampson makes one.. but i dont like it... does behringer make one?

Take a look at the Mindprint Trio...it's similar to both of those in that you can switch between monitors, talkback to your headphone send, but it's also got a pre/DI and a line in. Their likely nothing special, but it'd be good for a scratch or accompanyment track or something like that. I kinda liked the sound of it, It's got great functions to it, and if your soundcard has spidif you can skip the box (ala Delta 1010). You might not like it, but I love Mindprint gear in any case...

Jacob

whats everyone using for talkback??

It depends....If it one of my kids they get the belt or sent to their room.

If its the drummer I use a Tazer :D

You may want to check out the Samson C-Control at under $100. It has a built in condensor talk back mic built in.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CControl/

I am using one to switch between two sets of monitors and for checking mono mixes with the push of a button.

Scooter B said:
It depends....If it one of my kids they get the belt or sent to their room.

If its the drummer I use a Tazer :D

You may want to check out the Samson C-Control at under $100. It has a built in condensor talk back mic built in.

Uh...I think he said that he looked at samson and didn't like it...but what do you do with a bassist? My bassist keeps giving me shifty eyes, and I know he's gonna start giving me lip soon...

Jacob

but what do you do with a bassist? My bassist keeps giving me shifty eyes, and I know he's gonna start giving me lip soon...

I think you better watch your back.

Us bass players are sneaky and vindictive. If ya piss him off ya never see it comin my friend. :D

I've seen the Central Station selling for a lot less than that. I'm sure you can get one for around $500.

Your post got me searching, because i have a need for some sort of basic talkback function too. I checked out all kinds of stuff. I decided to try the new, cheapy behringer talkback monitor/mixer for $39.00. Apparently it just came out.

It's only $39 measley bucks, and if the guys in the headphone mix can hear me when I push the talk button it is worth that - just for freeing up a good mic to use elsewhere. Personally, I just can't see spending $400-$500 for what amounts to a talkback mic and some speaker controls. But that's just me...

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqint_KeyIDdata=43317&SOURCE=TL01

Back