What's better for recording....coated or clear tom heads

ruebarb

I had a drummer ask me this question...he's got clear tom heads, but he's going for more of a blusey feel, so he wants to replace his clear tom heads with coated ones.

And since he's recording...he was wondering if he should stick with the clear ones for now or go to the more "papery" sounding ones...

I'm not a drummer, but maybe someone with some experience can say.

Coated heads

Well I've had a few pairs of coated heads (2 different Remo sets & Evans G2) and I have not had any luck with them, and the only reason I got the last set was because I was recording and needed new heads and coated was all they had at the time. So I would say stick with the clears. :) But your friend might like them, so I would say to try them out and then take em back if he doesn't like them.

-tkr

Coated vs. clear heads is one of the least significant variables in a recorded drum sound. A coated head in theory gives a slightly more muted (dry) sound. I would think a more open sound would lend itself to a "blues feel". After years of comparison I just don't find that much of a difference between coated vs. clear heads. Coated heads are needed for any kind of brush work - but this is less of an issue on toms.

Possibly a single ply vs. a double ply may be a more relavant question. Obviously size of toms and tuning are key factors to achieving a blues sound vs. a rock sound vs. a jazz sound, etc.

Aquarian make a "Vintage" and an "American Vintage" head which is designed to reproduce a calf skin sound. These worked for me for a jazz kit - and IMO would work good for an "authentic blues sound".

I don't know that one (coated/clear) is 'better' than the other - it really depends on what sound you're looking for...

Like mikeh said - the difference isn't great - but there definitely is a difference between the two types of heads. Coated heads tend be a bit 'warmer' than their clear counterparts = by this I mean that they have a bit less 'attack' or 'brightness' than clear heads.

Back