What's above and what's below

RezN8

Blick-um, blick-um...
I've been researching acoustics products for a while now...

It's interesting how there is SO much attention to treating walls, but very little attention to treating ceilings and floors.

Most suggestions seem to be "hard (wood) floors/soft ceilings" but I'm always wondering if that is the only solution.

RezN8 said:
Most suggestions seem to be "hard (wood) floors/soft ceilings" but I'm always wondering if that is the only solution.

It's the only one that works well.

The brain loves the floor echo and knows something's amiss when it's not there. It's a gauge of how high something is off the floor.

The ceiling is a big flat thing that gives a clear echo at a bad time, so it should have some absorption to break that up.

apl said:
It's the only one that works well.

The brain loves the floor echo and knows something's amiss when it's not there. It's a gauge of how high something is off the floor.

The ceiling is a big flat thing that gives a clear echo at a bad time, so it should have some absorption to break that up.
That's interesting, thanx APL.

I have a carpeted room. For a home studio, I'm lucky to have had a pretty good room to start with, and now with bass traps, etc...it sounds pretty good. Is the carpeting hindering my sound enough that wooden floors would make a huge difference?

RAMI said:
I have a carpeted room. For a home studio, I'm lucky to have had a pretty good room to start with, and now with bass traps, etc...it sounds pretty good. Is the carpeting hindering my sound enough that wooden floors would make a huge difference?

The new place has a music room I'm working on, gonna add some 703 and stuff.

For the floor, it's carpeted and it's a rental, so I'm going to try a 4' x 4' x 1/4" oak plywood finished with tung oil or polyurethane, haven't decided, that'll be a chair mat most of the time and a reflective floor when needed.

So, hypo-pathetically, why would wood walls (or one wood wall) and a carpted floor not work? Would the listener perceive that the "woodslap" isn't cominf from where it should??? Or are we just creating standing waves???

RAMI said:
So, hypo-pathetically, why would wood walls (or one wood wall) and a carpted floor not work? Would the listener perceive that the "woodslap" isn't cominf from where it should??? Or are we just creating standing waves???

It would sound like you are floating in air on your side.

And the other problem with carpet is that it absorbs only the higher freqs, which sounds even more unnatural.

Back