Whats a good vocal mic

v01d

need ideas for a good vocal usb condensor mic. I know usb isn't the good way to go but it's the only thing in my budget at the moment

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but if it's the only thing in your budget at the moment, I'd work on getting a bigger budget...

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but if it's the only thing in your budget at the moment, I'd work on getting a bigger budget...

^^^^:laughings:^^^^

Probably the *yeti* from blue microphones
Or the rode *podcaster*
Will do the trick for you.

Many newbie mistakes are derived from jumping the gun with a must have it now mentality, but if you do wait and save you won't end up with non-pro gear that will just sit around in the future as a monument of money wasted.

:cool:

Do you have an audio interface right now, or is that why you are thinking of a USB mic?

Condensers have come down immensely, so you can get a decent one in the $100 range. Have a look at something like an MXL990.

If you don't have an interface, I would really look at getting a standard condenser and cheap interface rather then USB. A USB mic will typically be 16 bit and you can get 24 bit quite inexpensive. I would say that with some shopping you can get an interface and condenser mic for about the same price as a USB mic

I would never get a USB mic., it will be in the bin in a very short time.

Personally I would get a Centrance MicPort which is a USB to mic. converter, including phantom power and a headphone monitor.

£123 inc. VAT HERE.

SCENMICPORT_2.jpg

Then plug any mic. you want into it - and to can then upgrade the mic. as funds allow without changing the USB adaptor.

haha i don't take offense at all. it's actually for my friend. I told him a usb mic was dumb and wanted to prove it to him how much people will flame on such a thing. But he said that he's going to go with the converter. What is a good mic though. I've heard MXL and Audio Tecnica are bad. any others?

haha i don't take offense at all. it's actually for my friend. I told him a usb mic was dumb and wanted to prove it to him how much people will flame on such a thing. But he said that he's going to go with the converter. What is a good mic though. I've heard MXL and Audio Tecnica are bad. any others?

in the low end of things, these are widely recommended vocal mics:

condenser:
Studio Projects B1
used Oktava MK-319
Rode NT-1a
MXL v67g

dynamic:
SM58

You have heard wrong. Both companies produce a variety of mics, from some low level models I don't love (MXL990, AT2020) to some really good entry level mics (MXLV67G, AT40XX (anything that starts with 40), to some studio standards (AT4050 and AT4060) The AT4060, for instance is a relatively badass $1000 tube mic.

Folks here can tell you about all kinds of good mics. I can quote them from $20 to $5000 or so. What are you really looking to spend?-Richie

My limited budget is very much in love with my Rode NT-1a. They're getting married.

I like AKG's. Their affordable and sound good. The perception series is a good starter condenser. It's frequency response is 20 hz- 20 khz and it's nearly flat response so you won't have to do much eq'ing if any.

I like AKG's. Their affordable and sound good. The perception series is a good starter condenser. It's frequency response is 20 hz- 20 khz and it's nearly flat response so you won't have to do much eq'ing if any.
+1
I own a perception 200 and at the moment I'm very happy with it.:drunk:

I have never used the NT1a, but I use the NTK quite a bit, and I can say this- I had some dealings with Rode USA customer support when I had an issue, and they rock!-Richie

What is a good mic though. I've heard MXL and Audio Tecnica are bad. any others?
I've been around kids so much in the last 27 years having worked extensively with them that "bad" could actually mean "good" and "wicked" could actually mean "nice" and "murder" could mean "fantastic". And using "good" and "bad" in the same sentence could mean "good" in both instances ! Isn't language wonderful ?

I've been around kids so much in the last 27 years having worked extensively with them that "bad" could actually mean "good" and "wicked" could actually mean "nice" and "murder" could mean "fantastic". And using "good" and "bad" in the same sentence could mean "good" in both instances ! Isn't language wonderful ?

Yes it is Grim.
It's wicked murder if the good is a fantastically bad that is to say if it's wicked nice. ;)

:cool:

here's an MXL tube that come bundled with a company pre for $199. I've seen the MXL 990 with its own pre as well

They are good mics

Back