What's a Good, Versatile Rackmount Compressor?

That's narrows it down to about 1,000 different units - Can you get more specific with the use by any chance?

Especially if you're in the used market - Empirical Labs, Langevin, Avalon, Chandler...

Mono or stereo?

Massive Master said:
That's narrows it down to about 1,000 different units - Can you get more specific with the use by any chance?

Especially if you're in the used market - Empirical Labs, Langevin, Avalon, Chandler...

Mono or stereo?

Stereo (doesn't have to be 2 channels, stereo with common controls is fine with me). I want something that can compress drums,guitar,bass,vocals all in the same unit if possible.... If not, then I wouldn't mind having 2 compressors that are both good at what they do differently. I heard the FMR RNC was real nice.

The Emperical Labs distressor is about the most versatile compressor ever built. I recomend that you get a distressor and an FMR Audio RNC. Distressor is mono, RNC is stereo (can not be used as dual mono). Getting both of these should fit in your budget and cover almost anything you need to do.

justharold said:
Did you say that the RNC cannot be used as dual mono? Why not? I mean...isn't that what stereo is???

A stereo compressor will compressor two channels of audio "linked" in a way that maintains the stereo imaging. a signal in one channel that passes the compressor threshold will attenuate both channels.

Dual mono implies that you can run each channel independantly each with their won controls and threshold. for instance sending a vocal into channel A with its own compression settings and a bass into channel B with its own settings. The RNC will not do this.

Ronan said:
A stereo compressor will compressor two channels of audio "linked" in a way that maintains the stereo imaging. a signal in one channel that passes the compressor threshold will attenuate both channels.

Dual mono implies that you can run each channel independantly each with their won controls and threshold. for instance sending a vocal into channel A with its own compression settings and a bass into channel B with its own settings. The RNC will not do this.
Is this common in compressors? With the RNC being stereo, you must either run a signal in stereo or just one through one channel? Am I understanding this right?

You understand it right - No, it's not common. In FMR's case, I would imagine it was a judgement call to put out the most bang-for-the-buck.

Massive Master said:
You understand it right - No, it's not common. In FMR's case, I would imagine it was a judgement call to put out the most bang-for-the-buck.
Thanks Massive Master I thought it seemed just a bit odd but your insight makes sense.

Back