What's a good affordable condencer for recording acoustic guitar?

I have a pair of Studio Projects B1s that I use for all kinds of oddball stuff and one time just tried one out on my Taylor. It was great - a couple of feet away, side address at the octave fret - no problem. I could control the finger/fret noise by mic positioning. New - what is it, about a hundred bucks?

I'm sure there are better and better mics for this application, but that little thing knocked me right over. A pleasant surprise.

I have a pair of Studio Projects B1s that I use for all kinds of oddball stuff and one time just tried one out on my Taylor. It was great - a couple of feet away, side address at the octave fret - no problem. I could control the finger/fret noise by mic positioning. New - what is it, about a hundred bucks?

I'm sure there are better and better mics for this application, but that little thing knocked me right over. A pleasant surprise.

Great suggestion! You could even have a pair for your $200.

I like my mxl 604's for acoustic but I hear a lot of complaints from others about 603/604's so YMMV.

The Shure Ksm27 sounds great on acoustic guitar and they are going at the $200 mark now. Some people rave about the Cad M179 for acoustics. Other than that , I think the used sm81 is a good suggestion also.

The fact is, you have MANY choices at that price point. You're much better off than those looking for a vocal mic at this price point.

I have a pair of Studio Projects B1s that I use for all kinds of oddball stuff and one time just tried one out on my Taylor. It was great - a couple of feet away, side address at the octave fret - no problem.

I do use a couple of SP B1s and really like the sound. Too bad my current acoustic guit's not great because the SPs do a pretty decent job of capturing what they hear, with no major high-freq bump. I picked up the SPs after receiving a ton of good feedback here at the forum and by Paul White (SOS).

A stupid question that shows my ignorance... what does "side address" mean? I know it means not straight ahead, but does it refer to either direction (neck or body) specifically--or just one of them? Sorry, but I've got to learn this stuff somewhere. Thanks.

Just found White's review of the SP B1: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/studioprojectsb1.htm

Last edited:
A stupid question that shows my ignorance... what does "side address" mean? I know it means not straight ahead, but does it refer to either direction (neck or body) specifically--or just one of them? Sorry, but I've got to learn this stuff somewhere.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It just refers to the orientation of the capsule in the mic and therefore the physical orientation of the mic when pointing at a sound source. Most sdc's are "end address" so you point the end of the mic toward the sound. Most Ldc's are side address so you point the side toward the sound.

A stupid question that shows my ignorance... what does "side address" mean? I know it means not straight ahead, but does it refer to either direction (neck or body) specifically--or just one of them? Sorry, but I've got to learn this stuff somewhere.
Thanks.

It just refers to the orientation of the capsule in the mic and therefore the physical orientation of the mic when pointing at a sound source. Most sdc's are "end address" so you point the end of the mic toward the sound. Most Ldc's are side address so you point the side toward the sound.[/QUOTE]

Most dynamic mics are "end address" too. There are a couple that look like side, but they are not: Sen MD421, Heil PR-30 & 40

Back