Whatcha Gonna Do?

Chris, thanks for listening again, i'm going to try what you said on the chorus verb, and i'm also going to redo the intro i took out, then i'll repost it

TripleM, thanks for the specifics on the vocals....i recorded the just a day after writing the song, so i'm going to wait about a week before i retrack the vocal, just so i can become familiar with my own song......it sounds kinda weird, but at times, i was just kind of guessing at the melody because i'm not familiar enough with it..........usually it's about a few weeks before i record, and i actually know the song......thanks for listening

Sabbath, thanks for listening again....you've convinced me to redo that intro part....i think the main problem is old strings, because i tune up every time, but then it goes out as i play......i haven't changed my strings in ages, and i think it's time........anyhow, i'm going to try and re-track that part w/ my other electric guit

powderfinger said:
anyhow, i get what you are saying about the haze....how do i try to attack this problem? eq? where? any tips?

Actually try removing any EQ boost on cymbals... and on snare. If you gotta boost something on snare, try a mild boost (not a shelf) at/near 5k (try about 3db) but take off any shelving. This could also be a problem. It may just be time for a mic pre/board upgrade. (if so, congrats! you just outgrew your setup! :))

(Yeah... I'm also hearing what sam's saying about the out-of-tune stuff now... The lead around 2:58 is just about 1/4 tone out of tune on the highest string)

Great song, man. You're just about there.

Chad

New Mix

Chris, if you get around to this post again, let me know what you think of the chorus vocal now.......i added a touch of delay to wetten them up and i think it sounds better

Participant, thanks so much for the help. i took my eq off the snare and i think that might have helped some. at least it sounds better to me, but i don't have as sharp of ears as you (i don't think i would have noticed the 'haze' w/o you pointing it out)

the new mix has-
- a more wet chorus vocal to sit better
- no eq on the snare to minimize in an effort to have less 'haze'
- added an intro back in with my piece-o-strat , i'm going to hold off re-doing the other leads until i re-string my other electric

thanks guys,

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

WOW... now, THAT's what I'm talkin' bout... THe chorus still has those bad sounding ride cymbals... but everything else sounds first rate, man. Great fix on that snare. Sounds beauty-ous.

Great improvement, man. (Might want to de-ess some of the vocals, but they're just the smallest bit sibilant)

The effort shows!

Chad

participant, thanks for the help.......i never could have guessed that drum eq was the problem.....i learned something new with this one....great spot by you, i need your ears........anyhow, i'll look into the chorus ride, but i'm pretty sure i took off the eq boost on them...............i appreciate the help

Man, I think you're good on the choruses. It sounds like you added a hair of reverb on the vocal...(if you didn't, just realize I'm stupid and nod accordingly)...and I think they sound really good. Are you using Cakewalk reverbs for your vocal? Because I really like the verb on your voice...especially at the very beginning. Anyway, you're damned close on this one, if you ask me...and you may not have. :D

(empathy, apathy, and complacency are GREAT lyrics when used the way you used them...nice work)

Great song,I think you've received better advice than I could have possibly given you but I just wanted to let you know I gave it a listen and liked it!:cool:

Ya!Kickin groove!
I really dig this tune,nice build from the intro.
Great hook!

Your voice is just great,and the writing and production rocks!
Only one minor nitpic,sounds like the lead guitar is slightly out of tune.
Probably just me!:D

Really cool tune,thanks for sharing it,
Pete

The problem is...there is so much good music available today, I just don't have the time, sadly enough, to hear everything. With that being said, what I look for is consistancy and...

Im still drivin! Great songs man.

limited

chris, thanks for listening again man, i actually use renaissance's wave series reverb, i really like it........i used cakewalk delay though, as kind of an additional reverb for the vocal choruses.......i'm on my way to listen to your latest post.....thanks man........

acidrock, you're right, the advice on this board is amazing at times...i'm glad you liked it

muzeman, thanks for listeninig.......i think you're right about the lead, i'm going to re-string my main electric before any retakes

limited, i can't believe you listened to 'drivin' too.....thanks for listening to more than one of my songs...that's cool......i've learned a ton production wise since i recorded that one, that i almost feel like i should re-record it........thanks for listening

Back