What would you use for a DEEEP voice?

hookiefree

The deeper voice rappers that I recorded yesterday didn't sound as good through my Rode NTK-->Dbx 266XL compressor-->Digi 002 pres as the other guys did. They needed a lot of EQ to cut through the mix too. I'm already looking at a Shure KSM44 to record pretty girl voices, I'm wondering what I should add to the shopping list for the bass voice brothers.

EV RE-20..... or the AEA R84 ribbon....... of course, you'll need good pres to get the best out either of these mics as well.

Also I wouldn't put the 266 in the recording chain period, but if you must it certainly wouldn't go before the mic hits the mic pre.

Mics connect DIRECTLY to the mic pre to get the mic up to line level... THEN you can run the mic output inline to a compressor (which also expects line-level) before the recorder.

I actually just added it to the chain because it's hard to keep a man from getting too hyped sometimes when he's feeling it. I would record these real weak signals just to avoid clipping. I had the 266 from way back when I'd record my band's practices so I threw it in there. I tried running the NTK in through the 002 on an Aux track then out to the compressor and back in for recording but it actually sounded worse than the way I have it now. Maybe I could hold off on the second mic and get a FMR RNP/RNC combo.

I like Bluebear's suggestion of the Re-20. They're very good at taming proximity effect -- which is something you don't really need when recording voices that are deep to begin with.

They're pretty nice for rap, too.

Blue Bear Sound said:
EV RE-20..... or the AEA R84 ribbon....... of course, you'll need good pres to get the best out either of these mics as well.

I'd go along with the RE-20 too. Or, if you've already got an SM-7 for voiceovers, try it. An MD-421 works well too.

Is this a case of Andrew Eldritch from Sisters of Mercy?, their way was, to higher the volume of the pre amp because he sang so low, but that was more for lower volume then bass i guess....

re-20....I like it on any voice rapping. But this thing loves my bro's deep voice....I got it running through a Great River and its a beautiful thing.

BTW. Just wanted to add in a little secret about RE-20s.

If you can find them broken for cheap, even if they are 15 years old, get them. The EV factory will restore them to practically new, even casing for around $100.

So even if you found a broken one for like $200, it basically means you could have a brand new one for around $300.

Go check around old radio stations and stuff and you might get lucky.

Danny

Back