what would you do if this happens...

zebra

hello,

i want to share this story with all of you. with the perception of being a proffesional acoustic sound ingeneer " on location".
i recorded last month this band who play on iranian instruments and guiter and sax. it was a 3 day live recording.
the job includes recording, mixing and evt cdr duplication.
the recording has been done, so i started the mix, and made a premix for them (wich you can also listen on this forum.)

http://www.soundclick.com/accousticrecording

now i gave them a premix and i invited them to sit together on the table to have a word about taste and pros and cons about the mixed live recording. i didnt give it a finnished touch and wanted to share this with the clients.

we just had a meeting and they just told me they want to do the mix somewhere else. because they know im still new in this catogory of musicmixing. and wanted to do this with a sound ingeneer more xperienced. he is like 15yrs in the bizz.
they said and i qoute " we dont have time for this, and i dont know how it i could help. its a waste of time to sit behind the mixingdesk and sit together to talk about it ".
my question to you all, is there a mistake i made? is it healty to invite clients for sharing and talking about taste, and where u want to go with the finnished product?
or should i leave them out and mix it till finnished product. then ask if they are happy with it.

feedback is welcome greetz Peter
p.s. you can listen to a mix of what they heard.

Well I haven't listened yet (but I will) and all I can say is that I don't thing you did anything wrong. When I record someone, they love to hear rough cuts and have some input on the final mix.

Maybe they saw this as a sign that you were "lost" and needed their help instead of just wanting to hear their opinions? :confused:

Interesting take on a Beatles tune...

Hard to know what drives musicians sometimes. Don't take it personally, the muso is a strange beast to figure at best. The rough mixes sound fine to me.

If you were hired to record and then mix the session, that's what I would do. If they want to go somewhere else after they pay you for your work, that's their option. Just my opinion.

:D

Maybe they saw this as a sign that you were "lost" and needed their help instead of just wanting to hear their opinions? :confused:

thats a good reply....well i figured it out... maybe i opened the door too much for opininions. i got a lot of feedback with good results. so i wanted to know from the client what they like. i think there they misunderstood me.

for me its good to share culture and come together to a point where we can get the best out of it.

and maybe they cut me loose cause they got somebody better who dont ask questions.

nice call tnx and greetz Peter

ps. here you can listen to it http://www.soundclick.com/accousticrecording

two thoughts.

1) learn how to spell "engineer".

2) if they paid you for your time to record them live, the masters are theirs to do whatever they want. however, if you did it for free, you own the masters and have no obligation to give them to them.

if they decide to do it somewhere else its their call. the fyles gonna be delivered.

i just wonder if i made any mistakes here. thats all. as i asked you before. is it good to ask feedback during the proces. no harm done.

im good lets continue

Sounds good to me. Who is the Tonbak/Zarb player?

they said and i qoute " we dont have time for this, and i dont know how it i could help. its a waste of time to sit behind the mixingdesk and sit together to talk about it ".

Are these amateur musicians or have they not been doing very much recording?

That's a really naive or asinine statement. Then again, maybe they've only worked with people that come up with mixes and shove them forward saying "This is the SHIZZNIT and it's done!"

Also, it's nice to want to help people with their english when you can tell it's not their first language. Try it sometimes.

As a person who is a professional musician first, followed by recording hobbyist, I can say that I would very much appreciate it if my recording engineer/mixing-mastering guy would ask me for some input on the final result. The only thing I can think of is Whitestrat's suggestion that they might have misunderstood you. One other possibility is that they expect to make money off of the recording and are feeling pressure to have a finished product asap - definitely not a smart expectation!

juan162

As a person who is a professional musician first, followed by recording hobbyist, I can say that I would very much appreciate it if my recording engineer/mixing-mastering guy would ask me for some input on the final result. The only thing I can think of is Whitestrat's suggestion that they might have misunderstood you. One other possibility is that they expect to make money off of the recording and are feeling pressure to have a finished product asap - definitely not a smart expectation!

juan162

defenetly, and dont put the hot patatoe on my plate. greetz peter

i think the song sounds great. balanced, the percussion sounds great, clear, crisp.

i say tell them to stick it in their....you finish the sentence.

I don't usually ask for the artists opinion [beyond a reference CD, or groups they like and may want to have their music influenced by] unless they offer it, and if they do - I listen and try to acheive what they after. Maybe some people consider asking for their opinion as a sign of weakness, or a lack of confidence in your own ability, when in actual fact you are trying to find what they want.

Sounds good to me.

From what you've wrote they sound like jack asses

When I went to school for recording engineering they always said, you are an engineer first, if they want you to produce, they pay for it, if they want to produce then they say so, otherwise, you just do your best and give it to them, they're artists not the producers of the record.

DID u ever read the boor "the art of recordproduction" by richard james burgess. great book, nearly a bible.

Back