What would be the most logical upgrade?

MaximumMetal288

I am currently looking to upgrade my recording gear. I currently have a Yamaha MG 16/4 mixer that I plug all my mics into and I use the insert jacks on the mixer and hook those up to the inputs of my Delta 44, and I use outputs 1 and 2 for monitors. This has been working good, but as of now I can only record 4 seperate tracks at once, and for recording heavy metal drums, 4 is not really enough. I'd like at least 1 for the kick, 1 for snare, 3 for the toms, and maybe 2-5 on condensors either as stereo pair or one on each cymbal (ride, splash, hi-hat, 2 crashes), so I am looking to upgrade my input number.

I've been looking at the MOTU 828mkii but I do not understand why it has 8 outputs and 2 mains, the mains for the monitors. If someone could recommend some gear that will get me at least 8 inputs (I'd prefer XLR connections over TRS jacks, to avoid the mixer) that would be cool.

The MOTU is best if you want to use outboard pres. It's got tons of ins and outs, but only 2 micpres. I you want a box with a bunch of pres, take a look at the Presonus Firepod.

Back