What to start with?

overthought

Well im kinda new to this whole thing, I have done few demos using 4 tracks and my mothers computer (I was 17 when i did this and it has been a few years since then). Now i know a few basics on home recording but I'm looking to get back into it. Right know i don't have any equipment and would like to start out with something that will be a decent price and at the same time something i will use in the furture. I don't have anything anymore so i was wondering what i could startout with. Should i focus on getting a computer first and then programs for it? I really want to use this for making demos for my band and others and eventually i want to make a perfesional studio (but thats a few years down the line.) Basicly what should i start out with?

It's good that you've already got your feet wet so you at least have some feel for which way to go. The first thing I'd recommend is to narrow down whether you want to ramp up to the computer' station route or some stand alone box solutions.
Wayne

i would like to have a lot of flexability with recording. i am in a band but i also want to be able to make hip hop beats and techno. i think i will end up going with a computer first. do you guys have any suggest what i should get, i lean towards the macs but im not sure if thats necesarry for me to start out with. does any one have any idea what macs work best for recording? im not to conserend about the cost right now, i can figure out a way to get the money one way or another. Also will i need to add hardware to the mac? if so what would work best?

Well since you want to go more computer based and then new digidesign 003 just came out, I would check out the used 002 on ebay. I would also recommend mac, a used G5, the performance from the new intel power macs won't matter much using protools le. I would go dual processor though.

I would look real hard at the KORG D888. If you're familiar with the four-track, this thing should be right up your alley. You can record 8 track simultaneously while even using it as your main band mixer. After your live performance, you can mix "in the box" or dump the .wav files stored on it's 40 gig hard-drive to any old computer using USB 2.0. It's not a computer interface, but it travels anywhere, records very simply, and allows you to mix your project here, there, and everywhere, using whatever software or OS you like. As for software, a lot of people here recommend Reaper at about $50 US. I think you could do fine with a program like Cakewalk Home Studio, for about $90. If you can't afford entry-level software, try Audition, it's FREE!

Back