What to do...

psmith66

Here's the situation:

I record one track/source at a time using PC software (not recording multiple sources simultaneously)

I generally use POD for electric guitars and bass (directly into soundcard)

Having spent too much $$ on other things, I run mic's and drum machine (if not using Fruity) through a Tascam 414 which I happen to have - simply for the preamp (the mixer EQ's are left flat at 12:00)

My "monitor system" involves PC speakers, an old boom box and a relatively cheap set of headphones

I have $350 US to spend

Given that I haven't had the pleasure of recording with a decent mic preamp or decent monitoring system (and thus don't know really what I'm missing - but know that either would be a great improvement)

Do I:

a) Buy a used Mackie 1202 VLZ (four mic preamps and phantom power - want to keep my options open should I wish to record simultaneous tracks in the future - and eventually purchase a condenser mic)

OR

b) use the $$ to start saving towards a set of powered near-field monitors

Well, it's not as fun as getting a condenser + preamp, but probably the monitors will give you the most in that case. PC Speakers and boomboxes usually sound like shit...

monitors..

Through much frustration I have come to the conclusion that you will not be able to assess how your recordings are progressing unless you have a pair of monitors that are going to tell you the truth..

Due to my lack of cash all I have are stereo speakers that are eq'd to compensate for their sonic "deficiencies" (in other words.. if I record to tape with these settings.. it sounds great in the car)..

I spent hours just last week tweaking my guitar amp and mic placement to capture a particular heavy distorted sound.. When I thought I had what I was looking for I recorded it to tape and played it in the car...

The result? Drums and bass guitar that I can work with.. but a guitar sound with a horrid boost in the lower mids.. My apologies to Randy Rhoads, but I hate that played-in-a-can thronk sound of his and was horrified to hear it coming from me! All that work for nothing.. Well.. ok not for nothing: I realized that home speakers purposely de-emphasize that frequency range.. no artists of my liking touch those frequencies..and now I know where that nasty sound lives..

Unless you want to spend time trying to remove the "hidden" frequencies during mixing.. get monitors now so that you can hear what is really going to tape and what sounds will sit best in your mixes..

Cy

Back