What to do?

Nalencer

I'm planning a tribute to the Beatles 1969 rooftop concert on my roof. It's on the 30th. I tried to get some other people together, then was misled by the asshole owner of a club who implied she'd help me find the people then told me I'd have to find them myself. So I told her to forget it.

Then I asked my "friend" who has a drum kit and can play it alright if I could get a little help, being in a tight spot and looking for performers. Typically, I got a no.

Now all I have is myself, on guitar and lead vocals. I'll go ahead this way if it's all I can do, but I don't really want to. I've considered MIDI, but pretty much dismissed it as too hard to play along to, and a little bit of a bastardization of the Beatles' sound.

So, I'm at a loss. I can see no more options except trying to find a few more people, which will be next to impossible in the time I have before practice will have to have started if were to put on a half decent show. I know a guitarist and a bass player, but I don't think the bass player is very good, and the guitarist is probably too busy to practice, plus it's a Monday, and they'll both be at work on a Monday.

So, I know you're gonna say I've presented pretty much all the options and dismissed them, but I'm just hoping someone has some other idea. I can't imagine what, but it can't hurt to ask.

Beau Geste, my man. Classic tactic of putting the dead guys on the wall to make the enemy think the fort is well-defended.

A few of these babies, a big stereo, and you are golden.

Or, you could just go for the spirit of the thing, and do the show with whatever music you can pull together well, not even Beatles music, necessarily. That should do just fine, if you ask me.

Or you could bag it. Discretion being a part of valor, and all that.

Hehe, that place was pretty funny, but they didn't even have the Beatles on it :P Besides, being as cheap as they were, they probably couldn't stand up to the wind on a roof in January :P

Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna go ahead with just a guitar. I played through the songs last night, and they do sound pretty good with a little embellishment.

I had considered playing my guitar parts on the roof, then overdubbing the others after on the recording, but the project was originally (for the Beatles) intended to be played all live with zero overdubs, so that would also be a bit of a bastardization.

So, what's the general opinion on whether the overdubs idea is good or not so good? I suppose it's a basic question of loyalty to the original vs. quality (or, worded better, diversity) of sound.

Wish I could help. Sounds like fun. But if it's just you, are you sure you wanna go through with it, discretion being the better part of valor, and all. ;)

Seems like it might end up kinda sad, instead of inspired, sorry to say. :(

Where are you?

Back