What to do with extra Auralex?

Hart

After allocating enough of my Auralex for my vocal booth and for treating my work area I still have a few whole sheets leftover. I had a thought, which became a question I wanted to ask:

Would there be any sort of benefit at all to taking two sheets and placing them front to front thereby creating a four inch block of foam more or less. Perhaps for a cloud or gobo or something?

Why would I do this? I don't know. I've got these extra sheets and I don't want to sell them so I'm trying to figure a non-destructive use for them. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Nope, double them as you said; the wavy part does nothing except lessen your absorption due to decreased thickness, and foam's already at a disadvantage compared to rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. In fact, if you build some 1x6 frames and mount double foam at the FACE of the frames, you'll do even better for even absorption because of the added air gap BEHIND the foam... Steve

knightfly said:
Nope, double them as you said; the wavy part does nothing except lessen your absorption due to decreased thickness, and foam's already at a disadvantage compared to rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. In fact, if you build some 1x6 frames and mount double foam at the FACE of the frames, you'll do even better for even absorption because of the added air gap BEHIND the foam... Steve

I agree, that would be the way to go for the best results. Also, I dont think a cloud of foam is very effective, I've tried, rigidfiberglass is the way to go for clouds, gobos, and bass traps.

knightfly said:
if you build some 1x6 frames and mount double foam at the FACE of the frames, you'll do even better for even absorption because of the added air gap BEHIND the foam... Steve

Now that sounds great and I just happen to have a few 1 x 6's laying out in the shed. Thanks Steve!

uh...there's a reason for different thicknesses of foam, and reasons for the ridges.

diffusion and harmonic vibration may be lost stacked together.

but thanks for the - rep anyways

go ahead and give yourself a feeling of trapping the lower frequencies that are on your flat ceiling with a flat stacked layer of foam.

I've been considering foam as potentially useful for lining the inside of a PC case, somewhere where it won't touch anything.

I'd also like to see someone burn some just to see how hard it is to burn.

Back