What to do, What to buy.

Mr. Kelly

I've got a question, I'm going to buy d112 and two c418's from akg for 400. pretty good deal I think. But, that is only three mics, I'm gonna need more. One of my many problems is that I don't know what to do with the c418's, I think they were made for toms but I heard they are really good for overhead. so if I do use them for over head, what should I get for the toms? and if your gonna reply (thanks if you do) if you know what would be a good mic for the tom can you include one that may be a bit cheaper but close to its quality.

another thing I'd like to know is can the d112 be used for anything other than the bass drum? like the floor tom maybe?

and finally! should I buy a mic for the hihats

do you know any webpages where i can info and prices on the audio technica atm25? and another couple things, how close to CD quality am I gonna get with the shure sm57/audio technica atm25? AND the stuff I'm recording is hardcore and punk, Will I be able to get that kinda of sound from this equipment? if you want a more mainstream example of the music I'm talking about listen to the song one by metallica (its not hardcore though), the kick in that and the guitars are the sounds I'm looking for, am I going to be able to acheive that?

I think you know any mic can mic any source... It's just a matter of opinion if it sounds good or not on that particular source. But we must generalize to narrow down the options; though it's still confusing because there's still so many options.

That said, the C418s were designed as clip-on tom mics but I've heard people on this bbs say they like them as overheads (I don't like 'em on toms myself, but haven't tried them as overheads myself either).

The D112 will generally work for bass drum, toms, bass guitar cabs, even brass, but I prefer the Audio Technica ATM25 when it comes to having stay in the same budgetable price range. Other bass drum mic types to consider are the E/V, Sennhiser, Beyerdynamic (I forget all the model #s, but you can do searches in search engines).

Budgetable tom and snare mics? Can you say Shure SM57? After that, it's probably time to jump up to the $200US range. There's not many great options inbetween (in my opinion), but there are some.

Do a search in your prefered search engine and you'll find all the info you want and the price range for the Audio Technica ATM25.

Also, you microphone choices have nothing to do with cd quailty; technicly. But I don't that was really your question.

I'm not going to say that because you use this microphone, you'll get the sound you're looking for, but I can tell you Metallica and millions of others have/still/will use SM57s for studio and live recordings, and live performances.

As far as the ATM25, the same thing, but to a much lesser degree most likely.

Don't forget to search around for those other brands, their model numbers, and price ranges too.

Also, do a search in this forum and the mic forum for bass drum mics; there's been plenty of past disscussions to look at; and one rather recently.

Back